Recommend me some seed...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Well its that time of year that I'm looking towards next season and buying seed.
I was lucky to get some seed from British Red who was very generous as was Toddy with her blackcurrant cuttings.
I'm after recommendations on organic seed where possible of varieties proven to you.
I saved my own seed from parsnips ( not sure the variety ) wizard field beans. But would like to grow peas, french beans runners and spuds and ideally save the seed.. muchos Dave

Last edited:

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
They are lovely.. just had one roasted for my tea!
I'm more intersted in french beans and runner beans to be honest Hugh as my bush peas got pea mothed and what spuds people are enjoying.. I tried rocket spuds this time a desiree...d

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm growing Maris peer spuds right now Dave, should be ready in December. Don't like runners so can't help there, sorry.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
OK I know you asked for organic, and these are not, but of the commercial ones out there Franchi are excellent quality, all major brands are good but these do seem to produce tip top produce, and store well one year to the next.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I tried Franchi french beans this year and they failed twice!!!??
My friend has a property in Italy and he brought some seed back. ... weirdly they germinated in pots but not direct in the soil..??

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
You might find some online "heritage seed" companies. I'm in love with all the different red/purple/yellow carrots.
Blindfolded, I think I could pick out the superior taste of the purple ones (orange core).

tommy, I've had a similar problem with peas = plant 200+ seeds, get 12 plants. Transplanting from pots is such a grunt but
I have nothing to lose by trying next year.

bernie66

Tenderfoot
Oct 7, 2007
wirral uk
www.downsizer.net
I find the best seed supplier on ebay is premier seeds. Other than that seed parade are good and cheap for standard varieties. Chiltern seeds have some really interesting "different" seeds.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE