Recommend me an Axe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Home Guard

Forager
Dec 13, 2010
North Walsham, Nelson's County.
I've been bushcrafting for nearly two years without even touching an axe. This has limited me to finding small pieces of wood which are easily snapped to fuel my fire. This has severely limited the things I can craft, etc.

I'd like to start being able to cut and split wood for the fire and to make things like breadboards and other larger items.

Could someone recommend me an Axe, I'm not too worried about it's size, but I'd prefer something that isnt too large, but will still cater for my needs when I move on to larger projects.

I've heard that the GB small forest axe is pretty good, has anyone used these and what are your thoughts?

As for sharpening, will the GB ceramic stone be ok, I hear that this can also be used for sharpening knives, therefore killing two birds with one (sharpening) stone. :D

Last edited:

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Husqvarna are worth a look at as well, often considerably cheaper than Gransfors and as far as I've seen just as good quality.

Personally although I do have a big splitting maul and a small Husqvarna hatchet I don't own any woodland so they just get used at home for kindling.
I don't feel that its really my place to go hacking trees down on land I don't own.

In fact the hatchet, although a lovely bit of kit hardly gets used at all cos I split kindling with the maul, holding it right up by the head.

richardww

Banned
Jan 17, 2012
Gwynedd
the GB small forest is really good, wouldent think you would need any thing bigger for buse craft in the uk, the GB wildlife axe is also really good, most people have one or the other or both,
If i was wanting to spend less, i would look on the bay, i have been buying some really good old elwels and brades, plus kent patten axes, for a lot less money,
i sharpen my axe with a GB puck, and water stones +strops +etc for knives.
The Gb wildlifes a really good size, weight,

Thetillerman71

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 9, 2012
Gloucester
I have the mini forest Gransfors and a medium Husqvarna but although they are both axes are very different tools. The Gransfors is used more as a heavy duty knife and really good for small projects, shaving bark off, shaving etc.... Whilst the Husqvarna is only ever really used for chopping or splitting firewood

So guess the question is more what do you want to mainly use the axe for?

Steffen

Forager
Jun 13, 2010
Norway
to me the perfect hatchet would be something right in between a gransfors mini and wildlife, 500g heavy and 30cm long.
but that's just my preference.

the small forest is a good axe, and might be the ticket for an everything-axe.
i just find that for carving and processing fallen wood, it doesn't do much more other than adding weight and length over a wildlife-sized hatchet.
but if you don't mind that, then why not.

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I use one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0JRDVATMM10ZDGWCNBGT

DSC01506.JPG

DSC01503.JPG

DSC01498.JPG

Last edited:

Dano

Forager
Nov 24, 2005
UK
got myself a Kent Pattern head from ebay for a few quid, re-worked it and put a new handle on, I used a gransfors bruks small forest axe handle, I dont care if that is thought of as sacrilege, it did the trick and worked out real nice, much cheaper than new options and much better suited to UK woods

Last edited:

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I have a trio of GBs and love em but recently i have played about with some of the Fiskars/Gerber and really must say there brill. Easy to sharpen and hold a really good edge, also the handle material is much better than it looks and robust.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
I have a trio of GBs and love em but recently i have played about with some of the Fiskars/Gerber and really must say there brill. Easy to sharpen and hold a really good edge, also the handle material is much better than it looks and robust.

I use a fiskars x10 and a hultafors classic hatchet. The fiskars is a doddle to sharpen, I rate it highly. I use the hultafors just for carving.

sent from my Jelly Bean'd galaxy nexus.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Its a shame really that most people do not get to have a decent play around with a number of different axes until they find on they like.
Im sorry to say it buy many members on here will have only ever used GB axes, and often then only the small forest axe.

It sounds to me like you need a hatchet rather than a larger axe.

Any of the well known brands will sort you out. GB, wetterlings, hultafors, or husquvarna would be my top recommendations though if you are a bit more handy then putting a new handle on an old Kent pattern axe is the way to go. These old axes are fantastic quality and hold a wicked edge.

Peronally I'd be looking at the husquvarna or GB hatchets. I used the newer model husquvarna axe and I was quite impressed.

As for a larger axe, if that is what you feel you need, check out the hultafors axes. These are very well made though will need a bit of a polish. Mine arrived shaving sharp.

Check eBay just now, loads of axes on there.

Cheers

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I have quite a few and at our spoonfest event had 18 out for folk to play with and try, this is me sharpening up afterwards.
551809_254572557997055_667632502_n.jpg

I would agree with all that has been posted. I have fount that the vast majority of axes on the market are decent steel and hardness and temper are good enough too, with an axe you are not looking for super hard, it's not rocket science. The variation is if you pay extra you get an axe that comes sharp looks sexy and has a sheath. cheap axes come blunt, often look naff and have no sheath. If you are prepared to spend time with file then stones you can put an edge either on a cheap axe like the bahco or argos axes or an old kent pattern. I did a blog post a while ago discussing the pros and cons of different axes for carving. http://greenwood-carving.blogspot.co.uk/2010/07/which-is-best-axe-for-carving-bushcraft.html
Carving and firewooding are different briefs really. The perfect carving axe is short because it is used one handed, for proper firewooding you want a long handle and heavy head though you can cut up a large tree with a small hatchet at a push. I personally would not carry anything heavier than a GB hatchet in a backpack and I would think hard about how much I was going to use it before doing that.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Great post Robin. All well said. For me, the GB wildlife hatchet is among the finest hatchets I own. I just really enjoy using it. But there are plenty out there that will get the job done and done well that are significantly more economical. But about the only time I carry a hatchet as large as the wildlife is for short camping hikes or car/canoe camping. For short day hikes and hunting trips I often will carry the GB mini or a large knife/machete, depending on the terrain. I like to use a large knife/machete when I have to move through thick cover. I keep a larger axe in my vehicles and will take one on a canoe trip if I think I will be needing it.

Home Guard

Forager
Dec 13, 2010
North Walsham, Nelson's County.
As advised, I've settled with a small hatchet for the time being. I've been gifted a small axe head, I've ground flat the flare off of the top, and I've ordered a 12 inch hickory handle. Should be alright. I was thinking about removing the cheap varnish off the handle and oiling it. I have had the head on the wire wheel to remove the rust, and I shall proceed to black it by painting it eith old engine oil, and then blowtorching it.

Thanks for the advice, I shall bear in mind the other axes for the near future.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I shall proceed to black it by painting it eith old engine oil, and then blowtorching it.
If you must do that be very careful with your blowtorch, I don't know what temp the oil will cure at but you only need to get the edge to around 250 degrees c to soften the temper, the edge will heat far faster than the thicker parts too. If you want it black overnight in vinegar and a few oak chips will do it.

Noddy

Nomad
Jul 12, 2006
Away
I tend to prefer US axes Plumb, Norlunds, Kelly - all those - for their superior splitting geometry, and also a bit heavier than a hatchet - so 2 - 2 1/2 lbs head - great for the winter camp

But I have to say I do like that GB small splitting axe - had a swing of one a couple of weeks ago - pretty impressive :) I'd kind of gorn orf GB because they aren't so hot at splitting

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE