Recommend me a sewing machine

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'd like to start making some of my own bits and pieces like tarps, hammocks & bags etc.

Can someone give a total newbie some good advice on what to look for. I'm planning to use various hi-tech nylons as well as thicker canvas pieces so I could do with something with a bit of grunt behind it.

No idea where to look and what to look for.

I know the name but would something on this budget be up to much ?
http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.206-1559.aspx

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
You say you're looking for something with a bit of grunt behind it and I doubt that particular model would be up to what you're after Rich.

Have a look in your local papers or google for a sewing machine repair shop near to you. They usually have some machines going second hand and can give you some good advice with regards what's good with various materials.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
You say you're looking for something with a bit of grunt behind it and I doubt that particular model would be up to what you're after Rich.

Have a look in your local papers or google for a sewing machine repair shop near to you. They usually have some machines going second hand and can give you some good advice with regards what's good with various materials.

I picked up an old Acadex (sp) from a car boot sale in the summer, got it home and plugged it in and filled the kitchen with a puff of smoke. I got the feeling it hadn't been used for about 40 years :rolleyes:

Good advice on the repair shops though Steve, I'll dig out the phone book in the morning.

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
This one's on my doorstep but it looks like it belongs in a museum.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Singer-Sewing...Collect_SewingMachines_RL?hash=item20aea84653

I got one of them, minus the electric motor. I'm no expert but it seems to work just fine, They apparently have quite a following so accessories (bobbins, different feet, quilting attachments etc.) are still available. It's not fancy -- only does straight stitch -- but it has a good amount of strength, the ways and bearings run smooth, the feeder thing is sharp and I'm sure it has at least another 60+ years in it.

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot

bashabuddy

Nomad
Dec 15, 2008
bramley, Leeds
:lmao::lmao:

shewie. There is a sewing machine dealer in Leeds just down road from you where i've been looking for just the same thing.

There are a few second hand ones but you'll need to pop in really as website isn't much cop. Its literally throwing distance from Dunelm Mills. (where incidentally there are a few machines).

Clicky Here!

HTH

Last edited:

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
The old Singers are great for sewing heavy material like canvas, etc. while still ably dealing with the lightest material.

The 15-91 -- the model I have -- can sew, almost anything (including all leather lighter than sheath weight). The machine has been in production for nearly 100 years and even today is a popular choice amongst tailors.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I picked up a hand cranked singer clone for £5 in a charity shop and it is ok for most tasks, even sews thin leather using a denim needle and upholstery thread.

sewingmachine1.jpg

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
see i had a fantastic sewing machine i got of my parents, it was a beast of a machine but blew up on me some years ago :( stupidly i threw it out thinking that was it, end of life.
really wish i hadn't tbh.
still i'm on the market for something a bit more grunty then that little £20 JML thing i got, which frankly has issues sewing a wet paper towel...
well thats not fair i did do some heavy cotton twill with it, but its a pain to use and i doubt it'll stand up to the 550 cordura and nylon webbing i want to be sewing!
i'm off into manchester this new year to have a mooch around and see if i can find that sewing machine shop i found a while back, i have this crazy habbit of dashing around in the rain in mancychester and stumbling into the kewlest little shops, habidashers, pagan bookstores, heck a comic shop too once.
otherwise i can never seem to find them again...
let you know what i find and post the shop details on here ;)

Gailainne

Life Member
Shewie

Been looking at all the diy stuff on hammockforums then :lmao:

The one I got from Aldi does everything I need and probably a lot more, I've made stuff sacks, my Bridge hammock and made tree huggers using 19mm webbing with no problem. Pretty good for 40 odd quid. However if you can get an older Singer for around the same money, get it, it will be easier to get accessories for it, feet spare parts etc.

PS Aldi are selling them now.

Stephen

Last edited:
Do you have a freecycle network round your way Shewie?
swmbo got a cracking sewing machine off our local freecycle a couple of years ago. Although we were offering a bread machine at the time and ended up doing a swap :). But I think we would of got it without the swap tbh. We got our kenwood chef off there and it's fab. The chef doesn't sew very well:lmao:

hth

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I was given a sewing machine some months ago by the step mum, but am yet to use it properley, i tried but i must be thick,as i find it complicated/tricky.Waiting for her to visit me so i can get some lesson's,reading the instructions just gave me a headache.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
(In a deep voice)

Thanks for the replies folks, I was just expecting a torrent of abuse about being confused of my sexuality.

Been looking at all the diy stuff on hammockforums then :lmao:

Yeah they make it look so easy I thought I'd have a bash at a few things.

I'm off to nail some bits of wood together now with a big hammer.

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
(In a deep voice)

Thanks for the replies folks, I was just expecting a torrent of abuse about being confused of my sexuality.

Yeah they make it look so easy I thought I'd have a bash at a few things.

I'm off to nail some bits of wood together now with a big hammer.

Yup, you definitely feel the need to make a couple of knives for every sewn item.

I made my ventile jacket and trousers, mittens, canvas satchels and heavy nylon bike bag with one of these:

singer%201507.jpg

http://www.singerdirect.co.uk/site/productzoom.asp?id=1335

I have almost killed it though and it does have tension issues on the heavy nylon. For nice-looking stitching on techinical fabrics I would go up on price a bit, you won't regret it the extra £50-100 in the long term as you get more ambitious.

I used to have an old one like in the posts above. Bomb-proof yes, but you will need bar-tack and button-hole functions for a lot of projects in outdoor gear.

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
Lin says get an old industrial Bernina machine.
They used to put them in schools and factorys and teach people to sew on them. Lin got an old bernina off ebay and it cost a small fortune but she says its well worth the money. I cant argue she has made both our ventile jackets, kilt jackets, ghillie jacket, various tarps, tents and too many other things to mention.

Lin used to be a seamstress and knows what she is on about and goes all gooey eyed over old Bernina machines.

Greg

unsponsored

Settler
Apr 6, 2009
North East England
Rich I have the 1507 pictured above. I use lightweight fabrics, nothing heavier than 1.9 ripstop. For tarps made out of ripstop, or silnylon its perfect.

It will go through denim etc but I think after prolonged use on heavy fabric it would give up.

The term is Thread Injector not Sewing machine. It's a power tool after all.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE