recommend me a new multi tool

SiWhite

Nomad
Apr 1, 2007
Deepest North Hampshire
the bit kit i made for my wave,
P1010001-2.jpg

Zed, that is very elegant. I am going to copy that this morning!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I love my original Wave (given to me by Tim Leatherman himself :) ) and it goes with me everywhere.
The latest version of the Supertool lives in my van and I have other models of Leatherman tools in my canoe gear and dotted around the workrooms...
I love Leatherman tools and the Wave most of all!

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Ive got a Leatherman fuse and its good, but I prefer my old gerber suspension its got spring loaded pliers which makes life much easier, is a bit bigger and heavier but feels better to use and is a cheaper alternative than leatherman's (leathermen?)....... :)

zed4130

Forager
Aug 4, 2011
poole
Zed, that is very elegant. I am going to copy that this morning!

copy away my friend , it all works a treat, on a note on the original wave, i used mine from 98 till 2 years ago, i loved it but the non locking tools drove me nuts, i prefer the locking tools on the newer wave, although i do miss the old waves better scissors,

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Counting quickly my wife and I have at least seven Leatherman multi-tools between us. I also have three Gerber, a couple of SOG, and one Victorinox (the SwissTool). There are a couple of cheap Chinese things kicking around but as they don't bear comparison with the others I won't mention them again.

The Victorinox is the one that lives on my belt. I've used all the others routinely at some time or other, but with one exception the rest don't now see a lot of action, they live in assorted kit bags etc., or on the bedside or coffee tables, or hanging in a pocket by the door. The exception is one of the SOGs (an old Toolclip, I don't think they make it any more) which lives by the fireplace and gets used more or less daily. The Toolclip is horribly uncomfortable in sustained use and it bites. Unless you're a collector and you value its rarity, don't get one.

The Victorinox is about as comfortable as I think you can expect from a multi-tool (similar to the Wave, Charge, etc) and if it has any bad habits I haven't found them in at least ten years of more or less daily use. The pliers aren't quite as fine as I'd choose if I had a choice, but they do a lot of work for me anyway. I couldn't be without them when I'm camping.

Duncan (FGYT) has a strong point, if you don't often need the pliers then a SAK has a lot going for it. In fact if I didn't use the pliers on my Victorinox so much when I'm out and about, or if I needed to suit the pliers more to the job, then I'd probably go for that option. The pliers themselves are probably worth thinking about more than any of the other tools. Do you want something with a fine point, or something heavier? The SOG Power Plier is very impressive, and would be my second choice after the Victorinox or if I needed the finer points and extra grip on the pliers on a regular basis. The pliers on the Gerber Suspension are lovely and fine but apart from that I've never very much liked the Gerbers that I have. That's mostly because the tools are mostly awkward to get out, although they work fine and the blades are sharp -- as are the blades on all of the quality multi-tools that I've used.

The screwdriver bits on most multi-tools leave a lot to be desired. The Victorinox is no exception and I think that's been mentioned here before. Something like the one of the Leatherman tools which can accept interchangeable bits has a lot going for it if you think you'll be using it a lot for driving screws, but I'd have to ask at what point do you say enough is enough and go find a screwdriver. My multi-tool is there for odd quick jobs, not for when I'm fitting a kitchen. If I'm doing that then I'll break out the tool box.

As far as the SwissTool is concerned, the things that really swing it for me are the saw, and the awl, and the fact that you can get a knife blade out without opening up the rest of the tool. The Victorinox saw is what all the others are compared with. I'd willingly swap one of the SwissTool's knife blades for a pair of scissors, which is mainly why I also carry (in another little pouch on my belt) a tiny penknife which has a pair of scissors. I love the shape of the plain blade on my Gerber 600 but it isn't worth the faffing around to get to the blade (nor to the pliers) to use them.

So there you are. Nothing is perfect, try a few if you can and then take your pick.

forestwalker

get a good SAK larger locker if you have reason and a good pair of pliers far better and a lot cheaper

For a while I had belt cases for 1. a SAK champion, 2. a small pair of vise-grips and 3. the bit holder kit that comes with the SwissTool. I gave it up because it made me feel like a US policeman with an overloaded belt order, but for pure "fixing things" flexibility it was unbeatable.

In the 80's I saw somoene who carried a SAK and the smallest (4"?) channel lock pliers in a specially made belt case. Tempting if I could find that size channel locks in quality.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
For a while I had belt cases for 1. a SAK champion, 2. a small pair of vise-grips and 3. the bit holder kit that comes with the SwissTool. I gave it up because it made me feel like a US policeman with an overloaded belt order...

I hear you. I've been trying to reduce the weight on my belt for a while, but the heaviest lump is the Victorinox and I haven't found anything lighter that suits me.

In the 80's I saw somoene who carried a SAK and the smallest (4"?) channel lock pliers in a specially made belt case. Tempting if I could find that size channel locks in quality.

Not exactly sure what you mean by channel lock, there are several styles from the original maker but I think the smallest is 6". How about the Leatherman Crunch? My wife bought me one some years ago. I'd never heard of it until then and when I first saw it I thought it didn't look up to much. It's tiny and some of the parts look a bit skinny. I was very wrong. I've used it for clamping lengths of 50x50x6 angle when I was building a shed and it was well up to the job. One time when I didn't have a spark plug spanner handy I had to resort to it to fix a strimmer. It's a bit of a fiddle to take it out of the pouch and get it ready for work, but it's very capable up to its fairly small size limit. The choice of serrated blade is a little strange, and although it's perfectly capable I very rarely use it.

http://www.leathermans.co.uk/Leatherman-Crunch.html

ged

Jul 16, 2009
I'd never heard those called that. I've always called them water pump pliers or adjustable pliers - a very useful tool

Water pump pliers are usually 'slip joint' and channel lock are similar. The Leatherman Crunch is more like what we always used to call a Mole wrench:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mole_wrench

One of the nicest things about the locking styles like the Crunch is that they will lock onto the work and then stay there when you let go of the handles with no loss of grip pressure.

forestwalker

Last edited:

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
original wave with locks bought for £40 in singapore in the nineties by a friend of mine as good as the day it was bought regards dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE