Recommend me a mat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
My yellow multimat foam mat has done me well for years, but it just dawned on me that I'm slumming it a bit!
The size, weight, and comfort of mats seem to have come a long way and I've never bothered upgrading, but now I'm planning a few trips where I'll be on the ground for more than 5 or so nights I thought I might as well upgrade!

I'm looking for something that packs quite small and is reasonably light, but with a bit more comfort than your standard foam mat. I've always just tied my mat to the bottom of my rucksack but if it fits inside then even better. Doesn't need to go down to ridiculous temperatures, but warm in spring would be nice! Oh and I'm a side sleeper so cut-out mats like Klymit probably won't be suitable. Not sure if I want self inflating or whatnot, and I have nothing against the plain foam mat either.

There seems to be an awful lot of choice on the market and I'm not sure where to start. I've glanced over Klymit, Alpkit, Exped etc but don't really know what to look for, and the prices on some of them are horrendous! I don't mind spending more than I did on my plain foam mat, but £70+ for a mat just seems silly!

SO suggestions please?

Thanks
Dan

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I don't mind spending more than I did on my plain foam mat, but £70+ for a mat just seems silly!

I won't suggest a Exped synmat in that case :rolleyes:

I felt that the fact that they're so comfortable to sleep on and keep you nice and cosy was well worth the money spending on mine :)

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Have a look at the thermarest trail pro, it is one of their warmest, rolls up smallish and not too heavy, I have one and find it superb

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I use a Thermarest NeoAir short for 3 season ground trips, it's the older yellow square model with an R-value of 2.5, there were reliability issues when they first came out and I did have to replace my first one. But my second has lasted well, including a 200 mile coast to coast across the Scotland and lots of weekend and multiday trips in between. I've recently bought a XTherm in the classifieds which I intend to use for winter trips on the deck, I have an Exped Downmat 7 LW but I wouldn't want to carry it far, I've not seen the UL range in the flesh yet.

NeoAirs are spendy but I'd recommend them to anyone, I think if you're doing multiday trips then you want that peace of mind with an inflatable.

There's a Multimat inflatable which has had really good reviews, I can't think which model it is but I'll see if I can find it again.

EDIT:

Here you go, the Multimat Superlite Air ..

High praise from Keith Foskett ... http://www.keithfoskett.com/the-death-of-the-neoair-multimat-superlite-air-mattress-pillow-review/

£50 from UOG .. http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co...38/superlite-air-blow-up-airbed-regular-p1063

Last edited:

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
If you haven't got to carry it (or at least not far) then Aldi and Lidl usually do self inflating mats during the camping season. We got one for my son and it is soooo comfy and quite reasonably priced. It's wider, much thicker and a bit longer than my thermarest so not surprisingly it is significantly heavier and much less compact. But for the money it is ideal if you don't have to carry it and those issues are of much less concern.

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
Ooops! Sorry, just re-read your post. I see that weight and pack size are important to you. In that case we got a Vango self inflating mat for my daughter from Cotswold. Good weight and packsize and quite reasonably priced.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I know it's out of budget, but I can't recommend my Exped Synmat 7UL matt highly enough. Comfortable, warm, light, and packs down tiny. I was finding my old CCF matt wasn't warm enough, upgrading to the synmat saved me the need to upgrade my sleeping bag, and made for a better nights sleep.

J

fluffkitten

Mar 8, 2014
Nottingham
Here you go, the Multimat Superlite Air ..

Got one and despite it being quite narrow I find that mat really comfortable even though I'm a vry restless side sleeper. Love the lightness and compactness but it isn't insulated (R value less than 1) any more than standard air beds and is really cold without some sort of extra insulation in cooler weather. The -15 reference is to the air tight membrane and its flexibility rather than insulation unfortunately.

Great for positive temps when you want to keep the weight down and are mostly warm weather camping.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have a Neo Air Xtherm and it's pretty amazing. Packs tiny, I got the L one so it's wide and long and so warm. Cascade have a great warranty too.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
I won't suggest a Exped synmat in that case :rolleyes:

I felt that the fact that they're so comfortable to sleep on and keep you nice and cosy was well worth the money spending on mine :)

Best £70 I ever spent on mine- packs amazingly small and is the comfiest I've ever used.... Except maybe my exped downmat 7xl!!!!

ZEbbEDY

Nomad
Feb 9, 2011
Highlands
ive got the multimat air posted above, packs down really small to go inside the pack but need to use it on top of a foam mat really when its cold as no insulation

great packsize though its tiny and is comfy

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Been looking at the downmat and synmat as plenty of people have sung their praises, though reading a couple of reviews online suggest that they might be quite noisy (squeaky) for those of us that turn a lot in the night. Comments on this? Any similar product that is a bit quieter?

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Been looking at the downmat and synmat as plenty of people have sung their praises, though reading a couple of reviews online suggest that they might be quite noisy (squeaky) for those of us that turn a lot in the night. Comments on this? Any similar product that is a bit quieter?

newer syn ultralight mats are quite noisy but not so much that it will be a problem. Down mats are very quiet. The older non UL syn mats are also quiet.

I own a down 7LW UL, A down 9LW and used to have the older syn mat. All are very comfy and so far very durable. I also have an extherm which is a huge amount of warmth and is now my go to mat when ground dwelling

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE