Recommend me a hori-hori knife/ trowel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
The middle son is really into digging and pioneering, and is just moving up to Explorer scouts so I a thinking of getting him a Hori-hori. The garden is snidered in roots from long gone plants or weeds so when digging he's constantly calling for the folding saw or using a trowel to hack at obstructions. He has rather good sheath knives, my cast offs for bush crafty stuff but nothing heavy for rough work.

So can anyone recommend a cost effective Hori-hori they have personal experience of?, I can make a sheath easy enough and he would prefer a wooden handle and serrations / saw teeth on one side.

I vaguely thought of converting my old MoD type D but remembered I clipped the point just before I stopped using it regularly.

ATB

Tom

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I looked at those when I was studying horticulture many years back and they were pretty unknown here then. One thing I could never get out of my head was the though of digging into the ground with a blade for fear of damaging it. I eventually gave the concept a go using an old cheap as chips Swedish bayonet. It worked in principle, rather well actually but I still had personal reservations about plunging a knife into the soil so didn't take it much further. (I tidied up the knife, gave it a nice paracord wrapped handle and popped it into the drawer beside it's S.W.A.T. magazine pimped one ala John Fenna.)
A bayonet may be an idea for your lad though having a look around there seem to be quite a few hori-horis being stocked in the UK now. Didn't British Red mention one a while back? He might be the chap to ask.
Sorry I can't help further.
GB.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I think that ones a winner, I'll put in a chit with herself and see if I can get one. Cheers!

it definitely needs a decent sheath but that's easy enough to sort.

ATB

Tom

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
The sheath is functional but ugly. Bear in mind it might be going away wet so a fancy leather one might not be the best option

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
'Was toying with making it with a drain hole in th bottom and soaking it in molten bees wax so I could rinse it out periodically. I agree there's no point going mad with something for garden use so ill use the marked/ scared bits of the 4mm shoulder herself got me when they were on offer.

Still got to get one!

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
And it's arrived!

image.jpg2_zpsifomc9n8.jpg

And on first inspection I'm rather pleased with it. The handles a rather nice piece of what looks like beech, I can always recap it if the slot cause blisters although ill be wearing gloves most of the time I'm using it and the lad certainly will be. I'm fighting the mindless temptation to sharpen it, it is for digging mainly!

Theres a inch and cm ruler on the hollow side.

Not sure when I'll get a deep, waxed, Scandi type sheath done for it, I'm a bit snowed under with craft work at the moment. I'm playing catch up making the pile of the eldest s 40k I promised ( he's in the middle of revising for his GCSES and some health related stress so I being nice after
image.jpg1_zpsacyfond1.jpg

Taking some time to finish my own Full Thrust Scan Fed fleet, excuse the crap pic!

atb

tom

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Looks good, and just in time for the serious weeding in the garden to begin! Be good to hear how you get on with it.

(Looks like a lot of work on the 40K ships too. Busy chap)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! Ill post my thoughts when I've used it a bit.

They ain't 40k, Battle Fleet Gothic or what ever its called, it's a different system with a much less silly universe and more playable rules, should I actually get to play. The lads all have their own fleets but only the eldest is getting on with doing them. Ill do the Lads 28mm stuff but that's as far as I go with Warhammer. Some of the novels ain't bad.

Atb

tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE