Recommend me a flat pocket sharpener..

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I'm looking for advice on what flat pocket knife sharpener to get to keep in my pack and to use at home as my last purchase turned out to be shoddy crap.

Specifically my last purchase was the DC4 stone by Fallkniven, the ceramic side of the stone came concave and covered in lumps making it pretty much unusable on knives I didn't mind ruining.

To say I was frustrated was an understatment and after contatcing fallkniven about it they messed me around and claimed I ahd to wait over 4 months before they'd accept it to look at it.

I've also heard this is a very common problem with these stones and found some advice on fixing it.

I've tried grinding the stone to make it flat with moderate results but I want something decent that works out the box.

So.. can anyone recommend me a decent pocket stone that will sharpen most grinds for around £25?

If so, links and experience will be much appreciated!

Thank you for reading chaps! :)

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Aldi or Lidl had a diamond rod in the other day that looked good:)

Also i have an older DC4 thats great, i think the problems are only with the new

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Where did you buy the DC4 from? I'd kick off with the retailer rather than wait for Fallkniven to sort their heads out

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Can't remember the name of the site but it had a deer or stag as the logo.

And I bought it over a year ago now..

I'd buy another if I was garunteed it wasn't poorly finished and was perfectly flat.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I have a DMT diafold thing that's lasted well.

knife-dmt-sharpener-tool-fwfc-dbl-side-diafold-sharpener.jpg

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
The schrade one looks pretty decent!

The site was woodland ways btw, I didn't contact them though as it's fallkniven that make them and dispatch them unusable.

The spyerdo double stuff also seems very good, how does it compare to a functioning dc4?

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
I have a DMT diafold thing that's lasted well.

knife-dmt-sharpener-tool-fwfc-dbl-side-diafold-sharpener.jpg

This is a great sharpener but would recommend the fine/extra fine if your main use is knives. I've been using these for over twenty years and have yet to wear one out.
Not sure of prices where you are though.
If you don't like having handles you can do what I did to make it more compact
010.jpg

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Haha can't argue with results like that!

I would do indepth research into it but atm I'm on an iPod not my pc, what's the size of the spydie?

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
@bb07 I thought the diamond ones wouldn't last that long..

Yours has genuinly lasted 20 years? I assumed they were effective but wouldn't last long with regular use, maybe a year or two max..

@bb07 I thought the diamond ones wouldn't last that long..

Yours has genuinly lasted 20 years? I assumed they were effective but wouldn't last long with regular use, maybe a year or two max..

Not all diamond's are equal. I've also been using DMT for 20yrs and wouldn't use any thing else. I do have a DC4 but its not used.
Cheap diamonds can be got at lidel,B&Q etc but it dosnt take long for the grains to come off

I did know a bloke who wore out his DMT set but it took years of daily use. The DMT see guy nearly fell of his perch when told as he had never seen one

ATB
Duncan
from tapatalk phone

3bears

Settler
Jun 28, 2010
Anglesey, North Wales
i have a terribly nasty carbide sharpener by bladetech that puts quick edge on things, it's sharp, but not hair popping.... i keep a DC4 in my bag- but this only comes out if i have time really

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE