recommend me a down sleeping bag please folks,....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I didn't bother, find it just as easy to slide in and out, usually use a silk liner anyway so not having a zip on the bag wasn't a problem.... and it just adds extra weight :)

I have Alpkit Pipedreams 400 & 600, very good spec when you compare them to other manufacturers, stock is an issue but it's worth getting on their mailing list for updates. They're supposed to moving their production to the UK but I don't think it'll happen this year, once that's in operation though they'll be a force to be reckoned with I should think.

Alpkit currently have stock in of the pipedream 400, mine arrived this morning :D

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I didn't bother, find it just as easy to slide in and out, usually use a silk liner anyway so not having a zip on the bag wasn't a problem.... and it just adds extra weight :)

Hi Rich, I went for no zip, and really haven't found it an issue to be honest. I do sleep on the ground mostly though, but have used it with my hammock as well. Regards, Dave

Thanks chaps, that was kind of my thinking too. I have a 400g down bag at the moment which has no zip, the trouble is it's only rated to +5, more of a liner I think.I'm gonna give it some serious thought though, that minim 300 would do very nicely for the TGO in May

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
PHD will custom anything so it's an option if you want a zip.

A lot of people I know use Alpkits Pipedreams and swear by them, I've not had a chance to try one yet but the cost is good and the one I've handled seemed well made, it was my second choice if the minim fell through.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Your quite broad at the top ..............

Im 6 foot 42/43" chest and the PHD minim range in standard [43"] was way too tight. I needed the next width size up [48" Wide]

Its great kit, but different manufacturers make different ranges of bags for different enviroments.
The minim I think is made for mountain marathon types. Skinny fell running dudes.

Definitely not me.

Rab Neutrino 400 looks good. I think thats the one that replaced the Quantum endurance.

Havent seen Alpkit bags but they seem to have a good rep.

The Rab Ascent 500 looks like a good all round bag. I nearly went for that one myself.

Last edited:

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I'm 5'11 and 16stone at the moment, not exactly small, the minim is good, bit snug getting in across the shoulders, short zip would solve this. Sargey has a pipedream might be worth asking him what he things for that one. If you can afford it PHD will make a bag bespoke for you bit it's costly. Know a few people that use the Rab and they're meant be good. Other options if you're after a high end bag that have good reps are Western Mountaineering and Nunatak

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE