Recommend me a breathable lightweight waterproof!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

skybandit

May 1, 2007
sussex, uk
Hi all, off to cornwall with the new mrs for our honeymoon and thought it best to prepare for the worst. Despite having loads of bushkit, I don't have a single standard hikey-style lightweight jacket. I'd be pleased for some recommendations. Not after anything flashy, but at the same time don't want something that is not waterproof, not breathable, and likely to fall apart after 5 minutes.

thanks!
Pirran

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Berghaus Goretex Paclite jackets are pretty good - I've had one for years and it hasn't let me down. £90 for a new Goretex jacket is very good

http://www.gaynors.co.uk/products-Berghaus-Mens-Paclite-Jacket_160501350005.htm

Rab do some lightweight Event jackets/ Event is every bit as good as Goretex if not better.

http://www.gear-zone.co.uk/rab-pinnacle-event-jacket-pid2671.html

Montane do a nice lightweight jacket but it's in Entrant which isn't as good as Goretex and Event.

http://www.montane.co.uk/products/men/shell/atomic-dt-2.0-jacket/197

For a cheaper option, try the Dutch Army Goretex DPM Parka - heavier but outstanding quality, and you can get a good one for £50. Endicotts usually have them.

http://www.endicotts.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1365

NS

Last edited:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have a The North Face hyvent jacket that's good for shoving away... nearly all the big brands will make a very waterproof jacket but I have always been dissapointed with the ventilation of even the best breathable fabric. I did at one point have a brilliant £300 Mountain Hardwear jacket with under arm vents, that was good but I was too afraid of damaging it in the woods at that cost.

I have considered jacking in all the waterproof stuff and buying a really good umbrella.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
If you don't find any thing before you go, and if your heading down the a38, stop off a trago mills, it's a few miles past Liskeard, found a great craghopper waterproof there for £15 the rrp was 60. it's a good place for a rummage.

D

Deleted member 7976

If your pocket is deep enough Arc'teryx do some very nice stuff. I have an Alpha LT jacket and it puts all my old mountaineering ones to shame.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
i got a Lafuma pac lite type jacket from tacky maxx for £30 in a very un bushy orange and grey. very good, lightweight, excellent hood. bought a 2xl to get a fleece under it and i'm usually an lg/xl, as the trend currently is slim fit which is ok, if yr slim!

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
I can very very highly recommend paramo clothing. I have cascada trousers, aspira trousers, alta jacket and have a smock in the post. Keep you dry. Soft, comfy and quiet to wear. Breathability is awesome. Can be a bit hot but only if you are exerting yourself. Ethically produced. Can be easily reproofed. If you tear it you can simply stitch it or send it to paramo for fixing.
I wear mine all the time for year round mountaineering (including full on winter mountaineering) and for work ( I'm a gardener and part-time outdoor pursuits instructor for a living).

Last edited:

Fizzy

Nomad
Feb 8, 2010
Ash Vale
Rab do some lightweight Event jackets/ Event is every bit as good as Goretex if not better.
Indeed, I've got a RAB eVent jacket and I find it more breathable than my Gortex jacket. Haven't put it through a serious downpour yet though.

Acorn62

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2009
Oxfordshire
I've a West Winds lightweight jacket single layer ventile. Cant remember what it's called and it is the one I use most. If washed in soap flakes and then proofed with grangers wash-in 3in one it is more than adequate for all but the most heavy and constant downpours. BTW dont use nixwax wash-in with ventile as ventile is so waterproof when wet that the wax just pools and stains (yes - did that one too.....).

Have had Goretex and Paramo. Paramo is by far the best synthetic but extraordinarily warm so ok for winter but a sweatbox in anything over 5 deg IMHO.
I have 3 ventile jackets the West Wind, a Snowsled 2 layer all singing & dancing (for the cold days) and a ventile DPM smock I was issued way back in the eighties as part of a trial. The best bit of kit I was ever issued and still with me today! Sadly I grew out of the trousers that wnt with it not long after hitting civvi street...... ;o(

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
Another vote for the Pac-Lite - great jacket. I've some Paramo stuff too, strictly Winter gear as far as I'm concerned - too warm for any other time IMO. Good gear tho. If you've got a TK Maxx near you, go have a rummage as somtimes there's some very acceptable stuff in their 'Outdoor' bit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE