Recipes for vegetarian spreads?

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I was wondering if anyone would have some good recipes for vegetarian pates or spreads that would use nuts and such, 'shrooms?
Having been advised to loose weight and reduce my cholesterol level, I really have to make some effort to eat less generally and less dairy produce (particularly cheese :puppy_dog ). I quite like stuff like hummous but a lot of the spreads are sort of :yuck: and generally too sweet for my taste.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mushroom pate

500gm of fleshy mushrooms *
1/2 a bulb of garlic chopped
Fresh herbs
200gm dry brown bread crumbs

Saute the chopped mushrooms and garlic until thoroughly cooked. Allow to cool. Add fresh herbs and dry bread crumbs and then blend until desired texture. Set in to oven proof dish and dry in low oven (@100c). Keeps for a week in fridge.

* try not to use open cup supermarket type as they go to gooey during cooking and can produce a black pate, closed cup supermarket, or boletes are best.

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
"In that case, I shall prepare my Turnip Surprise."
" and the surprise is...?"
"There's nothing else in it except the turnip."
"So, in other words, the Turnip Surprise would be...a turnip."

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
"In that case, I shall prepare my Turnip Surprise."
" and the surprise is...?"
"There's nothing else in it except the turnip."
"So, in other words, the Turnip Surprise would be...a turnip."

Would that be a Baldrick quote from Blackadder, by any chance?:D

Xylaria.

That mushroom pate makes my mouth water!! I am getting mushrooms tomorrow:You_Rock_ That would go well with fresh baked toasted bread, I think.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Thought so! Dish & Dishonesty episode??But I think that, maybe, we need to do something to the turnip to make it palatable to us modern man! I am afraid I don't have Baldrick's moral fibre or his cast iron stomach. I am a culinary wimp :D

Any ideas for a turnip pate?:)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thats sounds great, I love my pate of a morning.

I find not buttering the toast first reduces fat.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Made my first batch last night. It's delicious. I overdid the garlic a bit though :rolleyes: , overpowering the taste of the mushrooms. I'll be more careful next time.

Or do i over do the garlic, Stoke on trent is full of zombies and vampires so i need the garlic:lmao: Glad you like it.

You could try nut humous

400 gms cashews
tablespoon of lemon
diced chives
salt and pepper
tablespoon of oil

blend up the above ingreadants. I haven't made this years and the receipe might be wrong. It is not very low in fat though.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Or do i over do the garlic, Stoke on trent is full of zombies and vampires so i need the garlic:lmao: Glad you like it.

You could try nut humous

400 gms cashews
tablespoon of lemon
diced chives
salt and pepper
tablespoon of oil

blend up the above ingreadants. I haven't made this years and the receipe might be wrong. It is not very low in fat though.

I am going to try that one too. I love cashews. and i hope the fat from them is better (less bad :rolleyes: ? I live in hope) that the stuff in sausages and such.:You_Rock_

Geuf

Nomad
May 29, 2006
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
1 red onion,
4-8 olives
2 teaspoons of butter
10 wallnuts
some olive oil
a clove of garlic
pepper
grind it and enjoy.

if you add some crumbled toast and an egg you can make vegitarian meat balls out of it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE