Realy dumb question?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 21, 2015
Durham
Hoover chicken. (nothing to do with the vacuum cleaner)

http://www.culinarylore.com/food-history:did-hoover-say-a-chicken-in-every-pot

There is no record of Herbert ever having referred to "a chicken in every pot" in any of his speeches or writings, although many of us were taught that he coined this phrase as part of his campaign platform, or during one of his presidential addresses. Surprisingly, the actual origin of the phrase goes back much further, to King Henry IV of France, which means it comes from the 1500's.

King Henry IV is said to have coined many a famous phrase. Franklin Roosevelt borrowed his "le Grand Dessein" (great design) for world peace. The king also said "Je veux qu'il ait si pauvere paysan en mon royaume qu'il n'ait tous les diamaches sa poule au pot." Which means, "I wish that there would not be a peasant so poor in all my realm who would not have a chicken in his pot every Sunday." Another version was: Si Dieu me prête vie, je ferai qu’il n’y aura point de laboureur en mon royaume qui n’ait les moyens d’avoir le dimanche une poule dans son pot! Which translates to "If God keeps me, I will make sure that no peasant in my realm will lack the means to have a chicken in the pot on Sunday! For this, he started being called le Roi de la poule au pot: King of the chicken in the pot. Don't get the wrong idea, though. He meant it, and he was also called Good King Henry or le bon roi Henri, and, of course, Henry the Great.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I believe that Hoover might have been referring to the many different species of North American Grouse which were abundant in that day and time.
Prairie Chickens and Sage Grouse are big birds. Possibly rare now to the point of closed seasons/on the Endangered list.
We have 5 kinds of grouse in my district: Franklin and Ruffed in the valley. As you get above maybe 3,000' there are bigger birds, the Dusky (aka Blue grouse).

Up top, 5,000' plus, there are 2 ptarmigan, Willow and Rock. . . I always forget how to tell them apart. They aren't common any more in areas which are
accessable by snowmobile. Heavy daily traffic disturbance here as McBride was voted the #1 snowmobile destination in all of North America.
Having seen a bunch of your Red Grouse on the N Yorks moors, I'd say they are the most similar to our Ruffed Grouse, a bird of the forests.

dragon32

Tenderfoot
Oct 25, 2014
Banbury, Oxfordshire
WOW,
This forum never ceases to amase me. The information that can be gained from one simple(stupid) question. For my part, I have hunted rabbits, game birds, and deer in later years. I have access to land were rabbit are a real pest and some years ago I took 56 out on one night. Needless to say I couldn't use them all so there were some very happy dog and cat breeders in my area. I am also a C&G qualified chef(army catering corps) so dressing meat is no problem. The reason I asked about the taste of fox is that in my scenario I am either stranded/lost or civilisation has broken down in either case I would be away from built up areas. In those circumstances, I wouldn't have access to either dogs or cats. I would however have a chance at fox and badger. We don't really have the diversity of animal that our brothers from across the pond enjoy. I wish we did. We too have what we call "panic buying" over here. In fact goes to the local Tesco(as I do ) a couple of times a week and you will see the same faces leaving the store with trollies full, over and over again. We don't need a "disaster" for that to happen, just a public holiday. Finally thanks for all your responses including Jack Bounder who I think wanted me to try it so he could find out what fox tasted like. The information gained is always welcome.

Don

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
http://www.culinarylore.com/food-history:did-hoover-say-a-chicken-in-every-pot

There is no record of Herbert ever having referred to "a chicken in every pot" in any of his speeches or writings, although many of us were taught that he coined this phrase as part of his campaign platform, or during one of his presidential addresses........

Yeah. Same thing here; No evidence to substantiate the claims but that's what we were taught. To be honest though I wasn't referring to Hoover's alleged promises but rather to what the rural people referred to as "Hoover's Chicken" during the Depression. In that era it was common for them to kill wild Gopher Tortoises for food and call it Hoover's Chicken.

I believe that Hoover might have been referring to the many different species of North American Grouse which were abundant in that day and time.
Prairie Chickens and Sage Grouse are big birds......

Maybe. But also likely that any references were to real, domesticated chickens. They were a fairly popular Sunday dinner item before the Depression. Cut up and fried in the South and larger hens roasted whole pretty much everywhere. And the point of the quote "A chicken in every pot" was a promise for prosperity (whether the quote is true or not) Whatever was really meant, it makes a fun discussion.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Steering back away from politics, the point was harvesting of gopher tortoises was apparently pretty widespread at the time.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Well, bring it on. I'm hungry and trying something new won't hurt me. What do you think? A peach glaze or apple/cinnimon? Let's go big or go home.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Getting meat isnt really that hard, but dont forget that once all the petrol and deisel has run out there will be no road kill. Getting a good source of fruit and veg on the other hand would pose more of a problem.

OurAmericanCousin

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2015
SoCalUSA
The old saying of "Meat's meat" goes.

I've had dog plenty, likely cat. Beaver isn't all that bad...pork like. Snake more than I can count, possum's good, grasshoppers, frog, 'gator's delicious (especially fried in New Orleans), escargots (of course), various creepycrawlies and all the game animals mentioned here already. Best red meat on the planet is horse....as a steak (rare, please) with a green salad and frittes. Hold the whip marks.

Rabbit is a curious thing. It is possible to starve on a diet of rabbit due to its leanness. We need some fat in our meat.

Buffalo is great (OK, OK, American bison). And I mean the whole animal. I eat the eyes to the tail. You'll be hard pressed to taste anything sweeter than a huge bite of steaming raw liver as its pulled out first thing. There is a section of the digestive tract (remember- bovine) called "many folds". When opened, it looks like a sack full of pages with wet lawn clippings throughout. Have at it. It hasn't reached the stomach acids yet and served as a source of vegetable to plains dwellers who didn't cultivate crops or when the camas wasn't in season.. Tastes like lawn clippings, too...mixed with raw tripe. I make a mean in-the-field blood sausage with the offal, too. Nothing wasted.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some meats.

Don't wait until you "have to" to try various avenues of providing for yourself. It gets easy eating stuff when the novelty wears off. Just do it with respect and as little waste as possible. Treat all meat like the gift it is.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...........Buffalo is great (OK, OK, American bison). And I mean the whole animal. I eat the eyes to the tail. You'll be hard pressed to taste anything sweeter than a huge bite of steaming raw liver as its pulled out first thing. ........

Buffalo (as you say, American Bison) has a very high incidence of anthrax. Eating it raw ain't none too smart (nor eating ANY liver raw) www.anthraxprotection.net/anthrax_trasmitted.htm

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Oysters, steak tartar, pork sausage, .....yeah, I eat a lot of raw stuff. No side effects....at least that's what the voices keep telling me.

So do I. But not wild buffalo nor wild rabbits (animals with a known high incidence of disease) Nor raw pork sausage (not because of the health thing but because it really tastes bad raw) Nor anything else when I'm also out in the wild away from medical help if needed (as the OP infers)

If you like it all raw and you're comfortable doing it, then enjoy; but luck only goes so far.

Last edited:

OurAmericanCousin

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2015
SoCalUSA
Raw rabbit (tried a morsel as a curious kid) isn't very palatable, so not my choice.

The incidence of running across oysters, steak tartar and/or raw pork sausage out in the wild is pretty slim around my neck of the woods. Naturally, individual results may vary geographically, as would individual definitions of "in the wild". For some that might be the absence of fingerbowls.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I have bought an entire side of bison every year since maybe 2002. I like it cooked. Fork-cutting tender.
Not the same as cooking a white-faced range maggot. I'm not prepared to accept any reports of anthrax without documentation.

I used to pay $2.50/lb on the hook and $0.50- $0.55 to cut, wrap, label and flash freeze. $3.00/lb the last two years.
You want one? Harvest your own? Come and get it. They are in the trees, just beyond the fence.

SouthEs_zps62079922.jpg

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I'm all for giving insects a shot John but lets be honest, almost anything is edible if you deep fry it, can i batter them first lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE