really stupid question

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
I'm sure this is a REALLY stupid question but thought i'd just check,

when something says 3 season does it mean spring summer autumn

or

Winter autumn spring

i'm pretty sure it's the first one but i thought i'd just check!

Landy_Dom

Nomad
Jan 11, 2006
Mold, North Wales
Yes, Wilderbeast, you're quite right :)

1 season = summer only
2 season = late sping to early autumn
3 season = spring / summer / autumn
4 season = all year (although it will be WAY too hot in summer)
"5" season = expedition use (alpine / arctic etc)

Dom.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I take the season ratings of sleeping bags with a very healthy pinch of salt. Much depends on the individual using them, I think the rating system is based on a young fit adult in good health. I personally would consider this bag for being ok for summer and the majority of Spring and Autumn but if it gets colder I would doubt it's capabilities. One of those bags and a good 4 season or winter sleeping bag or an army issue one would I think be required for all year sleeping out rather than just that one alone. Fitting a liner for example and putting it inside a bivvi will up the heat factor rating but the only way to know by how much is to test it, but I would suggest a back up in case it ain't up to the job in winter.
Hope this helps.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I take the season ratings of sleeping bags with a very healthy pinch of salt. Much depends on the individual using them,

This is a good starting point - I sleep cold: my body seems to shut down at night which is fine unless I wake up and then I can be seriously cold. As a result I use a bag rated to -5C in all but summer when I use a bag rated to 0 degrees. Others will probably be far too hot in these bags. Also, a bivi will add to the rating of your bag but sleeping in the open with wind over the top of your bivi will reduce it - there are many factors to consider.

Use the season's rating as a guide but you have to err on the side of caution if you don't want a cold night.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Not a silly question :)
Get the best you can afford and then get yourself silk sleeping bag liner. It adds another rating to the bag you have and you can just sleep in it on it's own when it is warm :)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
How did we get to sleeping bags in this thread? Here in the states, that rating most commonly applies to tents and only secondarily is applied to sleeping bags. The better rating for bags is the temperature range and loft.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE