Reality TV? Too far this time...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
So the millions of people who watch this type of stuff are thick gits but the few who watch programmes like mastercrap are OK, good types?

Bit of smug attitude creeping in on this thread that I really don't like.

Alexlebrit

Tenderfoot
Dec 22, 2009
France
Funny thing is, I was put off Mastercrafts because of the "reality TV" element of it. Celebrity presenter (who doesn't know much about it himself) three novices, learn from experts. Blah, blah, blah. I'd much rather have had an hour devoted to the experts and forgotten the whole naff competition version. Oh and if someone could smack Monty Don in the face with his own shovel, that'd be good.

Question for the hand-ringers: if it'd been called "Unknown, In Poverty & Jobless" would you have watched it?

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Funny thing is, I was put off Mastercrafts because of the "reality TV" element of it. Celebrity presenter (who doesn't know much about it himself) three novices, learn from experts. Blah, blah, blah. I'd much rather have had an hour devoted to the experts and forgotten the whole naff competition version. Oh and if someone could smack Monty Don in the face with his own shovel, that'd be good.

Question for the hand-ringers: if it'd been called "Unknown, In Poverty & Jobless" would you have watched it?

The problem with experts is that they, by their nature of being experts, don’t know or remember that not everyone “knows” that important detail, that makes the Job that they are doing easier or safer or more stylish. When a non-expert is put with an expert both will learn, the expert will learn more about his /her craft and the novice will learn the simple stuff. You’re not really a master of anything until you can teach it.

On television you need to find a person with personality to show stuff to the members of the public, now if you are unlucky the expert will be as dull as dishwater, you need pupils with a back story or personality, or if the expert has a personality (for example Dave Budd) then you need pupils who a bit “mouse like”.
It’s only entertainment, it’s not like it is real life.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
You miss Tommy Cooper,David Nixon and Dickie Henderson et al?

I had a fond admiration for them all, and many others of their time, I confess.
Dickie Henderson could sing, dance, play the piano, play the trumpet,tell jokes, imitate others in fun, be interviewed and answer in English that was A) Understandable and B) Intelligent responses to questions. In addition to that he was a gentleman.
But then I'm old and don't know my 'celebrities' from my 'Personalities'..:lmao:

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I haven't had a television for a little while, is Sunday Night at the London Palladium still running? :dancer: :D :D

Of course not!
sign0195.gif

Because that required actual talent on the part of the performers!

Experience, talent, professionalism and skill instead of ego... There's no place for it in today's tv schedules!
sad0068.gif

But then, what would I know, in my 20th (IIRC) year of no tv!
happy0054.gif

Alexlebrit

Tenderfoot
Dec 22, 2009
France
The problem with experts is that they, by their nature of being experts, don’t know or remember that not everyone “knows” that important detail, that makes the Job that they are doing easier or safer or more stylish. When a non-expert is put with an expert both will learn, the expert will learn more about his /her craft and the novice will learn the simple stuff. You’re not really a master of anything until you can teach it.

On television you need to find a person with personality to show stuff to the members of the public, now if you are unlucky the expert will be as dull as dishwater, you need pupils with a back story or personality, or if the expert has a personality (for example Dave Budd) then you need pupils who a bit “mouse like”.
It’s only entertainment, it’s not like it is real life.

Oh, I don't know about that The Mears manages all right without having a bunch of novices having a competition to see who can build the best basha. I've no problem wit that idea of expert + apprentice, just don't need the competitive part, nor Monty Don.