Re-useable cyalumes ?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I was talking to somebody at Middlewood (sorry can`t remember who) but they told me that you can boil up used cyalumes and use them again. Anybody tried this ?

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Boiling would (I think) make them brighter but not last as long as the chemical reaction would go faster.

I have heard that you can place them in the freezer when they go out and use them again at reduced brightness for a short time, but have never tried it.

Simon

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Boiling would (I think) make them brighter but not last as long as the chemical reaction would go faster.

I have heard that you can place them in the freezer when they go out and use them again at reduced brightness for a short time, but have never tried it.

Simon

Thanks Simon

I`ve still got 38 left from your GB :D but I`m just curious

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
***? its mixing of two chemicals so I cant see how boiling would seperate them and stick them back in a glass vial. if they got hot during the reaction then boiling could help restore them.

like sticking chemical heaters in bag to stop the oxygen reaction you can put lightsticks in the freezer to stop or slow them down but you cant restore them

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Is that how they work Dave, I`ve never really looked at one that closely, I always presumed it was something similar to the handwarmer efforts in the shops, one of those flexible discs which you snap.

Just looked at a used one now in front of a strong light and sure enough there is what looks like fragments of glass or plastic sliding up and down.

Well that blows the boiling theory out of the water.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE