Re-soften leather advice pls.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Its been a while since Ive really been on the forum. Ive been reading just not posting. Not had much to say recently if you can believe it! Anyway Im making a leather Tote bag for the missus ,I know not very bushcrafty but making stuff for her from time to time keeps her sweet about me buying my stuff!

I stitched the panels together and as it was a bugger to flip inside out I wet it and its all dried hard and stiff (oooooh matron!!).

What can i put on it to soften it up to finish stitching and working on it?

Orric

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Neatsoot oil is the best thing - designed to soften leather. It may darken the leather a little if its light in colour.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Word to the wise - do get "neatsoot oil" NOT "neatsfoot oil compound". The compound is mixed with some other oils and those may cause stitch rot in some natural fibres used in stitching.

Nov 14, 2014
Cambridgeshire
I use a neatsfoot oil/beeswax mixed at 50/50. It seems to hold the oil better than just neatsfootoil alone.

The only issue with the thread is mixture of grit from day to day use. The grit mixes with the oil, makes an abrisive compound so when you have movement on the stitching the thread is effectively being stropped.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have some leather straps (?) that need doing great tip. Could the oil be used on boots??

Sent from somewhere?

It can be used on boots but it can soften a LOT so be cautious. Saddle soap contains a small amount of neatsfoot oil so will soften as it cleans.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE