Re-handling a lock knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushman_Brett

Oct 18, 2006
cannock chase
just a quick question, iv been looking at getting a new knife and after lots of reading iv decided im going to go ahead and try make myself a new sheathed one, Iv been doing lots of reading and im pretty happy in the techniques and methods to make a non folder, however i was wondering if anyone can give me some links to information on folders as my current £10 locking folder has served me well for the last 8 years and still has plenty of life and a beautifull blade but id like to replace the cheap horrible plastic handle for a nice wooden home made one and to keep the knife as a backup.

Cheers

Brett

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
The difficulty of this job will depend largely on what arrangement there is for current scale retention, as in are they riveted, screw-fixed or simply glued in place.

Don’t rule-out the latter method as way of making the job easier as the strength of some brands of epoxy today is frankly amazing – just ensure both surfaces are suitably prepared to recieve the glue. A trick to make the job look real ‘cool’, if you choose the glue only hold method, is to inset false pins or even screws (mini cap heads if a ‘technical’ looking knife) in the new scales.

Don’t forget to ensure that ALL unused holes in the knife’s securing frame are plugged with wax before applying epoxy and that you mop-up quickly the displaced epoxy when bringing the two halves together or you’ll truly have a lock(ed) knife!

Cheers

Bushman_Brett

Oct 18, 2006
cannock chase
cheers for the replys guys, but this knife currently has a molded plastic handle, the only metal parts are the blade and the locking tab/spring which runs along the back of the handle for about 3/4 of it with one rivet for the blade and one rivet for the tab. I guess being as its going to be a backup ill just leave it as is and concentrate on building a new one from scratch :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE