Re-dying leather

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I've been given a whole load of leather off-cuts that is used for uphostelry.

It's nice soft leather which I'm planning to use to make a few pouches etc. but as it's actually a bright red colour I was wondering if there's any way it can be re-dyed to a softer, less garish colour.

redleather.jpg

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
'hitting' it with std leather dye should work fine assuming you are happy to go darker;)

I use fieblings but in the past have used 'punch?' i think it is from woolies - it works out expensive in the long run as it is quite a small bottle but at least you can get it in most towns:)

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I've been given a whole load of leather off-cuts that is used for uphostelry.

It's nice soft leather which I'm planning to use to make a few pouches etc. but as it's actually a bright red colour I was wondering if there's any way it can be re-dyed to a softer, less garish colour.

redleather.jpg
Going only on my own experence I'd say it depends on how it was dyed. I tried dying some chrome tanned leather that was cream colour, with only partial success. the black dye eventually rubbed of some parts of the item I was making.

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
Is the surface sealed ?

Try flicking a few drops of water off your fingertips (a very small quantity of water !) on to it, if it beads on the surface then there is a lacquer on it, this would need to be removed before you could dye it

If you end up with dark spots then it isn't and you can just swab your chosen dye over it.
Or try using a coloured wax to darken it (furniture wax or boot polish) test on offcuts untill you get the colour and tone you want/like (keep notes, you won't remember )

Re: stripping lacquer, I'll have to ask a mate what to use ( he does hand swab dying of upholstery leather....at one of the few companies in the country that is still doing it that way)
, let me know.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE