Re-dressing an axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well I decided to re-dress an axe today (found a cheap one) and I thought it might be useful to publish a step-by-step guide for anyone who has never tried, given that I feel like I'm in group therapy for axe fans on this forum (my name is Red, and I like sharp shiny stuff). Well here goes……….

Here’s an old hatchet that’s a good candidate for some TLC. Cost less than a quid from a car boot

What’s wrong with it? Well the blade is covered in rust and the blade edge is nicked and doesn’t cut evenly.

Worse though is the fact that there is some severe haft damage.

A dent and crack this bad could cause the haft to snap in use and the head to fly off. Not the safest thing.

So, first job is to get all that paint and rust off and see what we have. Now on a quality old head, I’d hand rub back. This though is a cheap “user” of a hatchet, so we’ll give it a quick clean with an electric sander. I like to do this with the old haft in or to the bare head. Any slips could damage the new haft.
This is what we end up with………..a nice 11/4 lb hatchet head.

Now that I can see what we have, I need to re-profile the blade. There are a few nasty dings and the profile is too thick. So I clamp the blade upright in a vice (between a couple of sheets of leather to stop marking the blade). I hold a file haft in my right hand and the top of the file between my middle finger and palm of my left hand. I then file off one side of the blade dropping my left wrist whilst filing to create a slightly convex profile. Turning the axe frequently I sight along the blade edge to make sure its straight and in line with the “eye”.
We end up with this

Okay, tricky time. We need to get that old haft out. Not normally a problem, but these days they often fill the eye with some sort of acrylic gunk. The problem with this is that you can’t see what’s underneath it.
So, is the head loose? Yes – haha, I’ll just tap it out. Nope, not a chance. Its not that loose. So, saw the haft off flush to the head and turn over. Try to tap out from the haft side. You know what the inside of an eye is shaped like right? Its like a funnel with the spout end where the haft comes out (wider at the top than the bottom). So trying to pull a haft out rarely works. The haft is wider below the head so the head can’t drop down the haft. Its straight when you put the new haft in, but then you drive wedges in to widen the top of the haft so it fills the funnel shape. So the head can’t fly off the top because of the funnel shape or slip down because of the widening haft. However cut off the haft and you can often drive the stump out the wide mouth of the head (the top).
Not in this case though. So, goggles and gloves and I drill through the haft half a dozen times going VERY carefully in case there is a metal wedge. There isn’t and the haft drops out.

Fantastic. Now we are getting somewhere. Right, next job. Fit the haft. I’m using a store bought hickory haft and its too big to go through the eye at the bottom of the head. This is a good thing. Using a sharp knife I SHAVE sliver of wood off the haft until it will just pass through the narrow eye. I measured the depth of the head before I started and added about ½” as I want the haft to project a little. A quick rub of sandpaper (easier now than later) and the haft is ready for the next stage. I’m going to need a wooden wedge next. Out to the woodpile and find a nice bit or dry oak (your wedge must be seasoned or it will split). Now I have measured the length of the eye and reckon for a little head like this a wedge about ¾” wide will do. I make it much longer than I need – you’ll see why later. I measure the width of the eye and select and iron hammer wedge the right size (No 2 in this case). Okay, I have all my parts assembled.

Next stage is to saw a slot for the wedge. Clamp the haft vertically and using a tenon saw, cut a slot into the haft for 2/3 of the depth of the head. It should look something like this.

You'll notice the line is just off straight. I find this helps stop splitting later.

Next, fit the head snugly and, using a block of wood flat to the top of the wooden wedge, drive the wedge gently but firmly in place.

Using your saw, cut the wedge off parallel to the haft. Then take your soft iron wedge and tap it in at 45 degrees to the wooden wedge in the centre of the haft. Make sure your head doesn’t move whilst wedging.

Well, we are nearly there now. A final sand of the handle, then an oil soak. Lay a piece of cling film twice the length of the axe down. Cover in a double layer of kitchen towel. Soak the towel in linseed oil (or whatever you use). Put the axe on top, wrap the towel around the haft and cling film round the lot. Leave for 24 hours or better yet longer. The oil will penetrate the wood, swelling the grain for a tight fit and protecting from drying out.

Remove all the cloth, wipe down well and sharpen and that’s it, a nice little camp hatchet.

Given that we have left a quarter of an inch of the haft “proud” from the head, next time we need to re-haft it, all that’s needed is to hook the metal wedge out with a flat head screwdriver, saw off and tap out the loose haft – no glue, no resin. The nice part of this job is that a haft costs just over a quid and a soft iron wedge a few pence. A rough hatchet can be picked up for 50p in a car boot sale. Buy 2 or 3 hafts and a box of mixed wedges and you’ll be out £5. You also can have a few tries at re-hafting and I’m fairly sure by the third go you’ll get the knack of it. If you get it sooner, you have some spare hafts!

I own and love Gransfors Bruks, Roselli and even have a Lee Reeves Axe on order. However I also know I can buy a beautiful 19thC hand forged axe head from a car boot for £2 and have something just as effective. Go on - have a go

Hope that’s useful -

Red

Reactions: leon-1

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
Now this is frustrating:

I bought a second hand axe yesterday and missed the info on this thread because I've been in the garage all day struggling to tidy it up :rolleyes:

The helve was in good nick but varnished so that's all come off and is about to be oiled. Can I use teak oil for this or would I benefit from going out and getting linseed or sesame?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Teak oil can irritate skin (or so I'm told). That said, I've never had any problems! Sesame is great - darkens the wood a bit and is food grade (good for knives) and smells fantastic (I do most of my axe hafts in Sesame - they may not be the best, but they smell nicest). Any oil does the job though - why not try olive if you have some (or even sunflower). It all swells the grain and protects from damp!

Sorry to frustrate mate - we probably had synchronised garaging!

Red

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
It's my first axe :)

I've never done any axe work at all so thought I'd learn with one that won't matter if it gets damaged.

Another question - the head is covered in some kind of matt-black rust proofing and it looks awful. Would it be a wise idea to remove it so I can polish and oil the head or would you suggest leaving it where it is? :confused:

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
Great stuff Red :D

I seem to be getting the axe bug too :rolleyes: Decided to restore one of my old axes the other day, its just a head as I broke the haft some years ago and I thought it would be a good chance to try the Banko out and fix an old tool. The head is not dissimilar in shape to the one in your tutorial Red but it's in a bit of a mess, for now Im just shaping the haft, this one is going to take me a while to finish.

Ive rough hewn it out using just the Banko from a big Hawthorn log that I harvested from Daves place last year :D it needs to dry out some more now Ive got it to size and wax sealed the ends. The Banko was a pleasure to use, though the haft near the head is a bit wide for me and was a little tiring to use choked up for fine work after a while.

Question for the axe experts - before I spend a lot of time shaping this piece with the draw knife, is Hawthorn a good wood for an axe haft? Im a little concerned it might be a bit too brittle? Lovely wood though.

I managed to get a piece with the grain following the shape of the haft

haft1.jpg

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
-Switch- said:
It's my first axe :)

I've never done any axe work at all so thought I'd learn with one that won't matter if it gets damaged.

Another question - the head is covered in some kind of matt-black rust proofing and it looks awful. Would it be a wise idea to remove it so I can polish and oil the head or would you suggest leaving it where it is? :confused:

Switch,

I'd have to say - your call! Really good axes are often acid blend treated to rust proof them - poor ones have a nasty black paint put on to imitate!. If you don't like it - take it off! I'd suggest 400 grit wet & dry, followed by 600 grit (both from B&Q or wherever). After that, if you wan't a "mirror" finish, go for a 2,000 grit (it has to look sort of "brushed steel" before you get that far. Or If you don't have access to that fine a grade (I can give you a web site that deliver for 79p a sheet), try 0000 wire wool for the finish.

Alternate directions when finishing - poll to bit first time and haft to head second and so on - you will brush out your own marks doing it that way! The only thing with "raw" steel is to keep a coat of oil on it (well, you would do that anyway huh)?

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Jason - this is getting to be "anything you can do" :lmao:

Lovely job mate. Honestly ...err..not the best wood in the world for a haft! Personally, hickory would alwyas be my forst choice follwoed by (if using hand carved wood from England) Ash if you can get some :(

I think hawthorn might be a little likely to crack (could be worng - I often am)

DD has a downed Willow we could work up weekend after next!

Red

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
British Red said:
Jason - this is getting to be "anything you can do" :lmao:

Lovely job mate. Honestly ...err..not the best wood in the world for a haft! Personally, hickory would alwyas be my forst choice follwoed by (if using hand carved wood from England) Ash if you can get some :(

I think hawthorn might be a little likely to crack (could be worng - I often am)

DD has a downed Willow we could work up weekend after next!

Red

LOL, one axe restoration leads to another!

Thats what I was thinking re the Hawthorn but I had it lying around and wanted to use it for something :rolleyes: Have loads of willow here, its quite soft though and it isnt very straight grained. Have some ash too but its kiln dried board!

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
British Red said:
If the board is thick enough it would be fantastic as a handle!

Believe it or not Ive got 3 axe restorations on the go :rolleyes:

1. a small one with a dry handle (currently soaking in my veg oil quenching bath as per your suggestion and looking pretty good :) )

2. the head that the above haft is supposed to be for, I think the ash board is a tad thin for this one

3. a medium sized hand axe in between the two size wise that also needs a lot of work, I think the ash board would work for this one :D but god knows when I'll get round to it :rolleyes:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Great isn't it! Lots of projects - not enough time! Better than soap operas anyday!

Now my next one has to be "leatherworking 101". Never tried - maybe now is the time?

Red

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
British Red said:
Great isn't it! Lots of projects - not enough time! Better than soap operas anyday!

Now my next one has to be "leatherworking 101". Never tried - maybe now is the time?

Red

Absolutely! :D

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
When is the next meeting of Axe Freaks Anonimous!!! Maybe you guys should get yourself down there?! :lmao:

Seriously though its a nice little thread Red - excellent work.

Maybe a potential sticky?

ps. I'd rep u up but i need 2 spread the love :240:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
scruff said:
When is the next meeting of Axe Freaks Anonimous!!! Maybe you guys should get yourself down there?! :lmao:

Seriously though its a nice little thread Red - excellent work.

Maybe a potential sticky?

ps. I'd rep u up but i need 2 spread the love :240:
Scruff,

Can you and Leon give me & Jason a lift to the meeting please? :D

Actually its true what Jason said on the big axe junky thread.....its great learning from you guys - if I could make a sheath like Leons or Jasons for that hatchet I would be a happy man....still, theres alway another skill to learn huh?

Red

leon-1

Red you'll be making the sheaths in no time, just get a mental image use the axe head as a template and off you go, but be warned, if you try making it in 5mm or greater be prepared for the air to turn a deep shade of saphire when you are stitching it:D

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
I managed to get all that nasty black off my axe head only to find the metal underneath was quite badly pitted and scratched :(

I had loads of wet & dry so thought I'd get cracking with smoothing it off (I don't have any fancy tools like you guys). Anyway, 2 trips to homebase and 12 hours later I've finally finished and it looks great. Even managed to get a good edge on it, not massively sharp but it'll cut paper easily :D The handle's been oiled and is now soaking in.

I couldn't find anywhere that sells 2000 wet & dry though so if I could get that website off you Red that'd be great :) And thanks for the tutorial, it's been quite a help :)

I'm looking at making a sheath for it now so if anyone knows where I can get good leather??

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE