Re-discovered carving

Fly_Viking

Apr 15, 2012
Not where I want to be!
On a recent trip back home to Sweden I rediscovered the joy of carving, now to my question. Should I get the GB carving axe (if so centre or right hand grind) or should I get a smaller one like the GB wildlife hatchet or Wetterlings wildlife axe for the carving and a cheaper one for the log splitting? Or maybe another combo/solution from someone on here with more experience than me?

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I organised a carving course with Robin Wood a few years back ( very highly recommended;)) and he uses GB carving axes , or rather we, the students did and I have to admit to feeling a little sceptical about using such a large axe for spoon carving but they turned out to be absolutely superb and much better and easier to use than either the wildlife hatchet or SFA for that sort of work.

As far as centre or right hand grind, that's really up to you, though I did find that the lefty grind axe Robin brought along was much easier for me to use ( I'm a lefty)

here's a bit of video from our course, with plenty of "GB carver action":cool::
[video=youtube;mAthW-2IjsI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAthW-2IjsI[/video]

I'm the fool who can't stop giggling near the end:eek:

hope this helps

Steve

Last edited:

Fly_Viking

Apr 15, 2012
Not where I want to be!
Well that really depends, what tools do you already have at your disposal and what sort of work would you like to do?
yours sincerely Ruud
I've got mora carving and crook knives on order. I'll probably start with a spoon to practice and then bowl or kuksa depending of what wood I can get hold of. After that, who knows. Depends how bad the bug bites me.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Well as far as I know a carving axe, is just what it says, only used for carving, and if you do not have an axe yourself yet, it is a good tool to have with you to get yourself some wood to start carving, after that and after some spoonkniving then perhaps I would be thinking about a carving axe.
Yet keep in the back of your mind that my yearly wage is so depressingly low that I couldnt even buy my own food if I had to ^^ Gotta love being a student.
So I would see what tools would enable you to do the most, so do not yet double your posibilities for doing the same job, like a spoongouge, and a spoonkife, but first explorer wider and then see what your budget and time allows you.
Long story short, let your heart and your wallet guide you ^^
Yours sincerely Ruud

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Any hatchet will do, its just down to how much time/tools you have to regrind a cheap one, or how much money your willing to part with to save the hassle.
The GB carving axe is very good, but most axes old, new and cheap around 750-1000g head weight can be made to work well.
My favourite is a kent pattern and with the handle I made it comes in at 850g but it cuts like a dream and cost me nothing.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I've used an Axminster tools Japanese hand axe for four or five years now. It's really a splitting axe, but it holds a great edge and the bearded design means I can grip the handle right behind the cutting edge for finer work, I also use it for feather sticks, scandi grind makes it easy to sharpen. It's not as good as a GB but it does the job.
Colin.

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
Ignore the folder that was a gift for someone but this is the main axe I use not a new one but got it through a trade an old Fulton carver thing is grand. Sure would love a GB but way out of reach for me. Hell I have seen a couple guys use regular hatchets like the little Wetterlings so doesn't need to be anything super pricey. To be honest when I started out spoon carving I started with my CS trailhawk was all I had and worked alirght. If you got an axe or rather a decent hatchet just get it good and wicked sharp that is key

100_3375.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE