Re-cycled axe head

covertcraft

Feb 6, 2009
Milton Keynes
Hello all, I have recently finished this project, which was to make useful again an old axe head I was given (in a sorry state). It was fitted with a really long handle from a much bigger axe, semi secured with a nail!! loads of chips n dings in the edge and generally a bit rusty! First off I re-profiled the edge and cleaned up the head, then made and fitted a new handle. Finally I made a basic blade mask (my 1st forray into leatherwork). It's turned out to be a very handy little tool, I have roughed out a couple of spoons and a kuksa and split down some 4-5" dia wood down to chopstick size in no time! Not the best pics but any comments good or bad welcome.

IMG_0467.jpg

Clipper for scale, axe fits nicely in the gas mask bag I carry when I pop down the woods.

IMG_0471.jpg

IMG_0468.jpg

IMG_0470.jpg

Here's the Kuksa (my 1st) that I put it to work on.

IMG_0457.jpg

This was from a bit of hawthorn I rescued from the firewood pile!

IMG_0455.jpg

covertcraft

Feb 6, 2009
Milton Keynes
Thanks Robin, means a lot coming from you, I have much respect for your work and that of your good lady. I enjoyed the process and the result, I think this could be a trustee companion for a long time.

covertcraft

Feb 6, 2009
Milton Keynes
As it happens I did re-use the old one it now has a 2lb kent pattern head on it which I also had to do a bit of restoration work on. The new handle in the pic is made from cleft ash.

Thanks for your kind words.

Lee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE