RB5 trans africa boots!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Hi Adam, I have a pair of these and i have to say that i really like them, but then again the sizing of Rogues is really good for my foot, If you want i can take a few pics over the next few days and jot down a few thoughts as the pair that i have are slightly different to the ones pictured.

Louis

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
just checked out the unbeaten tracks site, i was wondering if anyone has had a pair of the boots ref; RB5 trans-africa???

see http://www.unbeatentracks.co.uk/acatalog/Rogue_Boots.html

any feedback appreciated, thanks

Adam.

Dingo, Just replied to this on the Rogue Hats thread to this. Excellent boots and for Scanker's benefit the RB6 is too. Waterproof right up the gaitor unless you stand for too long in deep water.

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
I contacted them at the start of the summer and they said they were no longer doing them... had to get a pair of Rangers from Woodlore, a bit more expensive but they had them in stock. Very comfortable boots, didn't have to break them in, but wouldn't trust them in the wet without GTX socks. The leather is very supple and is still taking up dubbing.
jon

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I would quite putting anything on the Ranger boots. I have a pair and am much less impressed with them than I was. They are still well made, but they have a number of, lets say "issues", which are inherent in the design. One of them is the way the leather handles water and moisture. When I first got mine they got wet very easily, so I dosed them with a number of compounds in succession in an attempt to make them shed water - tried SnowSeal (fairly lathered on), Nikwax wax, Mink oil and Dubbin. I believe that the ONLY effect that any of this has had is to make them even less comfortable!!! They still get soaked and take a while to dry, and its hard to say whether this better or worse than when they were new, but they are cold when it is cold, and hot when it is hot largely because they do not breath much at all and my foot sweats more noticeably than in any other shoe I own.

I have been told that this problem with moisture management is to do with the kind of leather and the fact that it contains a lot of oil.

I know that I was fairly positive about them when I wrote the review a while back. Additional time with them has made me think I need to do some updating.:(

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Chris,

I sympathise with your comments about waterproofing but, as stated on the website, they are not supposed to be waterproof/resistant. I have found them pretty soft and comfortable but I don't like getting them wet as they stain with a white tidemark.

In all, a very comfortable pair of boots in dry weather but perhaps limited use in the UK?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Generally with boots, waterproof means that they are totally sealed and perhaps uses something like Goretex. Not waterproof means that they do not, that wading streams or tramping in bogs will make your feet at least damp. I have two pairs of Merrel day hikers that fall into this category. No Goretex, no special effort to make them waterproof, yet, loh, with a single application of the appropriate Nikwax product, they are many times more water resistant than the Rogues, and, even more desireable, they breath better too. Its the latter that bugs me most.

Dingo

Nomad
Jan 7, 2005
leicestershire
well it seems that the negative outweigh the positive here, i like the look of the boot but think that they are made for the African market, which generally is a lot drier than our beloved blighty

i think i will carry on looking, i had a pair of 'Le Chameau' they where awesome, i think i will have to search out a stockist.

cheers people comments appreciated.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE