Razor clams

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The oxygen concentration in seawater is a lot less than the oxygen concentration in air. So, they get "stoned" on oxygen. With no source of internal body heat, they go really sluggish in the chill of a refrigerator. The fish monger people keep the shellfish on display in crushed ice. Most of them seem to want to open in the cold. They spread them out and give each one a "poke" with a finger. They sell me the ones which close.

How do you "mong" a fish? Anyone know?

Hairy Steve

Feb 17, 2010
Cornwall
The thing to watch out for is over-cooking - we mostly eat them with past so we steam them until they just open, barely a minute, drop them into cold water to stop the cooking, finish the rest of the dish, chop them up and warm through in whatever sauce we're having.

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
Like most shellfish, there are endless great recipes. A personal favourite is to steam/simmer them in a "thai" concoction, chilli, lemon grass, coconut, coriander etc.

fhaggis

Aug 8, 2016
scotland
Hi, older thread i know but rather than starting a new one..

anyone know the best places in Scotland to get razor clams? ideally as close to Glasgow as possible?

cheers

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
i'd say that would be the first criteria to avoid is near any built up areas, you're looking for sandy beaches at the extreme low tide down into the water under the sand, a good sign they are on a beach you are on is seeing the half-shells kicking about as everything likes eating them, you'll find them all around the coast of Britain, sea lochs are great for them if they have plenty of little sandy and pebble beaches, good thing is you can get loads of other shellfish on the pebble and shale beaches to go with them, Loch Fyne is pretty amazing for shellfish but maybe you don't want to travel so far

Brynglas

To buy or to forage? I've foraged them on beaches down near Ayr/Turnberry just make sure that the beach and seaware clean with no nearby outflows. The best thing though is to head West to Argyll, lots of pristine coastline, just have a walk along a sandy beach at low tide and look for the depressions where the clams have burrowed, drop a bit of salt in and up they pop.

Sent from my SGP521 using Tapatalk

Jamesburn1441

Mar 7, 2017
Wirral
Hi just a quick one
I have been trying to find razor clams for a while
I have a place in abersoch northwales
Dose anyone know the best beach to forage round there ??
????

Jamesburn1441

Mar 7, 2017
Wirral
Hi just a quick one
I have been trying to forage razor clams for a while now .... no luck
I have a place in abersoch northwales
Just wondering of any good beaches to have a forage on for the clams

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE