Rayway quilts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
you could always just cut the bottom off an old sleeping bag i suppose for a trial, or even buy an ordinary cheap quilt and cut it down to preferred size and re-sew it. i have looked at those rayway quilts before but if you roll around (as i do) i would think the quilt might come off you while asleep and you would lose all the heat, might be okay for summer but personally i dont fancy the idea, good luck though if you try one. :)

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
There seems to be alot of folk on here who have ukhammock quilts, the guy is happy to talk through ideas and do custom jobs for you. I've looked but can't really justify it as I have a nice sleeping bag just now and don't really get out that much at the moment.

I think snugpak also do quilts.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I have 2 quilts from uk hammocks. They are very nice, if you do buy one make sure you weigh it when you get it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I've been doing that for some time, I dislike being wrapped up in a sleeping bag and I find that sleeping under it is just as warm. My old bag is disintegrating hence the need for something new.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Ive recently gone over to quilts for ground dwelling. Been using one in a hammock for a lomg time. Loving it and now I only have to carry 410g instead of 900g. I looked at making one and it seems an easy enough task but the material costs (particularly good down) made me think it was easier to buy as the savings were not huge. I use a hammock gear burrow 40

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
This is my homemade top quilt, might give you some inpspiration; http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84995

The shape of the Rayway quilt is uber strange and the cone shape on the end is just wasted space IMO. I'd look at a hammock top quilt-they are a generally a bit wider than ground dwelling quilts.

Hammock Gear in the states for the best on the market if you wanna buy.

Making a top quilt isn't that hard-most of it is straight lines and pretty straightforward-lots of instructions already on Hammock forums and Backpacking light. The down or synthetic insulation is by far the most expensive part. Getting a very good quality down pillow and taking the down out is the cheapest way to get the filling usually.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
The shape of the Rayway quilt is uber strange and the cone shape on the end is just wasted space IMO.

Yep, Ray is a legend but his quilt design sucks. Seems to be far too much of it, so much so i reckon the weight savings over an opened up sleeping bag will be minimal when compared to a good one.

I do like his backpack kit though :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I had a Big Agnes Lost Ranger which I sold on here a few years back, a best of both worlds really. No insulation in the bottom but a sleeve to slide a full size pad in, being Big Agnes it was huge, plenty of room to turn inside it rather than with it. I think Thermarest and Rab do their own versions but I've not seen them in the flesh yet.

I have HG quilts for hammocking but prefer a bag for the deck.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I had a Big Agnes Lost Ranger which I sold on here a few years back, a best of both worlds really. No insulation in the bottom but a sleeve to slide a full size pad in, being Big Agnes it was huge, plenty of room to turn inside it rather than with it. I think Thermarest and Rab do their own versions but I've not seen them in the flesh yet.

I have HG quilts for hammocking but prefer a bag for the deck.

wait till you use the xtherm lol. you'll be gagging for the ventilation

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
Yep, Ray is a legend but his quilt design sucks. Seems to be far too much of it, so much so i reckon the weight savings over an opened up sleeping bag will be minimal when compared to a good one.

I do like his backpack kit though :)
I was looking at the shape, he seems to assume that you will sleep with the quilt over your head, which is a recipe for condensation apart from anything else. I must admit to that I was put off by his ranting about how he had invented shaped tarps and quilts and that everyone else was stealing from him.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Thanks Teepee. So all you've done is put a drawstring and some velcro at the bottom to make a foot pocket? I like the draft stopping bobble.

Yes, that's all it is. A press stud too to stop the velcro pulling apart. I could have done a sewn footbox, it would have been slightly warmer and lighter but I wanted the option to open it out for quicker drying. This is a winter quilt, I'd do a sewn one for summer.k

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE