Ray's sharpning stones

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TAZ

Tenderfoot
Aug 3, 2004
Farnborough, Hampshire
My diamond stone wore out after about 18 months so I bought one made by EZE-LAP, Have had it aboutfour years now and use it 2/3 times a week. It is showing a little sign of wear but really it is just a finer grit now than it was.
I have found the best thing with this stone is to use it dry with my knive and clean it with an eraser after each use.
The only problem that i have had with it is that it is only approx 3mm (1/8") thick so it is "stuck" on a piece of wood by the manufacturer so I had to trim the wood to the size of the stone to make it easily useable.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Sargey mate is very fine one end ( the blacker end of the stone) and what I would grade as medium the other.

But there is still some more coarse areas on the sides.

Why?

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Are you meant to wet the ceramic stone before using it? OMG i think i just realised what i've been doing wrong!

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
it's just that most of the arkansas stones i've come across are much more coarse than my DC3, i wondered if you had one of those rare translucent hard arkansas stones. i've got one, but it's sooooooooo fine as to be almost useless!

i'm still surprised that you'd site the fallkniven stones as "what not to buy"

one of the best pocket stones i've ever had was a gerber sharp-pak or something, it had a small ceramic stone in a little plastic slider thing.

i suppose the other thing to consider is what knives you're going to use it on. some natural stones don't have much effect on some hi-tech cutlery steels.

cheers, and.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
Are you meant to wet the ceramic stone before using it? OMG i think i just realised what i've been doing wrong!

no, not really. most manufacturers recommend using ceramics dry. i use things like the sharpmaker dry, at home, and clean them with a rubber and/or scourer and washing up liquid. ultra-sonic scrubbing tanks work fantastically well for cleaning ceramic stones, quite popular with dentists apparently.

there's a whole complex load of widgetry thing with diamond stones, poly crystalline stones break up, and monocrystalline ones get pulled off the glue that holds them to the plate. either way, they do last longer with a bit of liquid. some people like to use a very light oil, some a washing up liquid/water mix (50/50) and some just plain water.

being as the DC3/4 is an ideal stone for use out and about, i just use spit, on both sides.

cheers, and.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Well mate call me a old fashioned type of guy but.........

Actually my stone is old as the houses, I've had it about 15 years, and is natural stone not a synthetic job. I have never had a problem with it and (as far as my old brain) can remember its never been overly course. The fine areas on it now are from wear and as such thats why the sides are fairly coarse still.

I really don't rate the DC4 that much, I think we are way over rated actually. I have several diamond stones and ceramic rods and such and the DC4 isnt any better than any of the others in fact I would rate the EZI-LAP above it, and having had one fall apart on me now I'd rate it even less.

Plus, I also dislike too aggressive a stone which will take off more metal than needed - good for a quick sharpen or repair I agree but lacking the finesse of a good old style stone.

On courses I try to give examples of good and bad kit and the reason why i say it is one or the other, this way students can make their own minds up as I never underestimate the power of personal preference.

Personally I will still be recommending the GB ice hockey puck as a field carry, good for both knife and Axe - and the standard waterstone combo for base camp (house) sharpening.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Gary said:
I didnt by it from them mate - I got it from ......... someone else. Still its ok as I can now use it as an example of what not to buy when I cover sharpening on courses.

Wow, that's a bit harsh - it also flies in the face of what a lot of people have personally experienced.

Used properly, I think the DC4 is a great sharpening tool. Even if the glue failed and the two halves fell apart, you still have 2 functional sharpening tools and you can glue them back together later. Remember, this is a field sharpening stone, so arkansas stones or waterstones are preferable most of the time. Probably heavier and more fragile though - certainly waterstones are susceptable, I've even had a waterstone arrive broken in the post.

The GrannyB hockey puck is 4oz heavier than the DC4 and a whopping 5x heavier than the DC3. That's dry weight - soaking wet they are obviously heavier still. You also need to keep waterstones warm when they are wet. Let a wet one freeze and it'll shatter (although possibly the GrannyB may survive as it's a little more robust than most waterstones).

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I think i was using the ceramic side dry when just maintaining an edge, i think thats where i went wrong.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Martyn, I agree I am being a bit harsh and yes I know how popular the DC4 is, hence why I bought one to try it out and it is undoubted a very good tool when it works as a sharpening stone and has a major advantage where weight is concerned but at the price asked I dont think the glue failing or any other fault is acceptable really. I am sure my experience is well in the minority and if it hadnt been negative to start with I am sure I would think them the bee's knees too.

Although I do stand by my thoughts on its aggressive sharpening action and it taking off to much metal - these things all smack of knives made with cheap steel or inexperienced users and as most people have expensive knives made of quality steel I think a gentler tool more applicable - again my opinion, I certainly believe in treating my knives better.

None of the other systems are perfect I agree, but many are tried and tested and we know their weakness and strength, and more importantly for myself where I spend a lot of time in the field I need a reliable one and an adaptable one which I can use to sharpen my personal knife, Leuku or axe again the gb fits the bill. It is heavy but robust and in its bulk is also found the advantage of making it easier to handle safetly.

Anyway its all courses for horses and like knives personal preference will weigh heavy one way or another.

Waterstones are base camp items - no more no less.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I have been known to take my waterstone on a walk :roll: . I only realised how ridiculous that was when it was too late.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Jake Rollnick said:
I have been known to take my waterstone on a walk :roll: . I only realised how ridiculous that was when it was too late.
Why, because you'd lost your knife???

Sorry, that was mean!

I agree though, it's ahuge weight to carry. I find that the DC04 does all I need in the field.

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
Jake Rollnick said:
Yeah, well, imagine how I felt when I was spotted taking my goldfish for a walk:shock:

I was, of course, moving house at the time. Funnily enough, noone believed me...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE