Ray's sharpning stones

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mal

Forager
Sep 20, 2004
Blackpool
Hi all has anyone used or dose anyone no what the sharpening stones are like on the woodlore site they come with a leather pouch so i wondered if thats what he had in his resent tv program

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Do you mean the DC04 and DC03 combo ceramic.diamond stone? If so - expensive. In fact, Woodlore is the dearest place at the time I write this for them. You could try www.thetradingpost.co.uk or www.heinnie.com if you want them at a more sensible price.

Otherwise, they are good stone, a bit smaller than you might think. An excellent, robust, lightweight sharpening system.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
But they do tend to leave your bevel a bit scrathed and scarred, even on the ceramic side. Not a problem, as its just a cosmetic issue i think, although it might leave micro burrs? (thats me trying to be techie)

mal

Forager
Sep 20, 2004
Blackpool
is there any other difference between the two on rays site or is it just size i have one of his knives what one do you think is best cheers

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Word of warning Mal - I dropped my DC4 the other day (after giving into the sales hype and final getting one) while demo'ing it and it fell apart :yikes: - the epoxy gluing it together isnt too clever.

Not a major here but in the field it might have meant I was without a stone a situation which could have proved disastrous (of course i could improvise but then what would be the point in carrying the stone?) - anyway I am now back to my old trusty arkansas stone which has served me well for many years and never let me down.

All that glitters isn't gold and not all thats new should be sold!

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
From all accounts, Fallkniven's customer service is excellent. If I were you Gary, I'd PM Peter (owner of Fallkniven, forum name VG10) over on his forum at Knifeforums and get it sorted.

As well as sorting you out, it's something he needs to know to improve his product!

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
I've used several of the DC range and not had a problem with any of them. If the diamond layer came away from the ceramic layer then even in the field you still had two functional stones you could use anyway. That problem sounds like a problem, although a rare one. I'd do what Boaty suggested and drop Peter a line.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Does anyone think they are agressive? Even on the ceramic side?

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
I've noticed that the diamond layer has started to wear off on certain points of my DC(the smaller one); about 2/3rds up the stone and at the sides. I'm wondering if there 'sa problem with my technique.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I didnt by it from them mate - I got it from ......... someone else. Still its ok as I can now use it as an example of what not to buy when I cover sharpening on courses.

And Adi your right it did give me two seperate stones - but the diamond section was so thin I was worried about using it on the Leuku blade in case I bent it although this is probably unlikely I know.

But thats by the by - point is they aint cheap and as such shouldnt fall apart.

And (in hind sight) having gone back to my old Arkansas I think they are very aggressive which is great for repairing dinks but over the top for actualy sharpening.

Live and learn I say!

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Has it worn off (unlikely) or is it that the stone needs a wash and a few minutes with a scouring pad?

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
I'll check what a scouring pad can do; but it does actually look bare rather than covered. I seem to recall that my small one (from a certain company whose name starts with "W" and ends with "oodlore") was the same price lithril paid for his larger one elsewhere.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
diamond stones do tend to wear out, but it does take a long while, usually.

are you using them dry or with a bit of liquid (spit)?

i think they're brilliant bits of kit.

gary, how fine is your arkansas stone?

cheers, and.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE