Ray's Bannocks!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Spacemonkey,

when I take bannock mix out with me it is normally in a poly food bag, I just add the water into the bag and squeeze the bag between my hands to mix it, absolutely no mess - unless the bag bursts....

Cheers

JFW

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
The simplest bannock recipes are a scone mix and should be considered as such. A hot scone is ok. A cold scone is dry. A hot scone with butter and jam is good and with cornish cream is suberb.
Please do not consider that your bannock are bad because you don't like it when you try it plain. Add some butter and jam or sugar and cinnamon as you would with scones.
If use it as bread with another full flavour food and it will be just fine.
I think its better to keep the basic bannock/ soda bread scone recipe simple and add the extra flavours after you have cooked it. But that just me.
If you make a basic bannock but add some mash potato and roll fairly flat 1/4 inch then griddle and serve with bacon and egg it is a superb breakfast.

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Spacemonkey,

sometimes the simplest tricks are the best - ingredients and mixing bowl in one lightweight solution, even keeps your hands clean.

Cheers

JFW

neo_wales2000

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2004
wales uk
Griddle cakes, or Welsh cakes are dead easy to make, leave out the sugar and currants to make a cake to go with your stew or whatever. Use a dry pan with a little bit of flour in, to stop any sticking; not too high a heat, and they cook in a few mins, turn a couple of times

8 oz Flour
3 oz Butter
2 oz Castor sugar

1 Egg
2 oz Currants
1/2 ts Bicarbonate of soda
2 tb Milk or Milk powder and water

You can but a bit of garlic powder and or herbs in :)

Mix the flour, bicarbonate of soda together.
Rub the butter into the flour and add the sugar and
fruit. Beat the egg and add with enough milk to make
a soft dough.

Thats enough for two people.

http://www.recipesource.com/ethnic/europe/welsh/00/rec0009.html

Beakytzw

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2005
where ever the military send me!
Ok I am going to go out for a night or 2 with my missus and daughter, so I thought I would practice making Bannock Bread. Using the receipe below:

6 cups flour
1 cup shortening
1 cup dry milk
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup baking powder
A hand full of sugar (all depends on your taste).

I thought since I will probably be mixing this together in the field i would actually prepare it in the kitchen as i would out in the field. so with plastic food bag and ingredience (spelling is crap) I began to add water slowly, a bit at a time, mix it around, add more water, until the mix was like putty. Stopped the water and carried on mixing until i had as many lumps out as possible.

Dig out small frying pan, turn up the heat to full on the gas cooker let frying pan warm up. I then dug out a medium sized lump of dough and dropped it into pan.l then rolled it round the pan gently letting it rest every now and then so it got evenly brown all over, prod with a knife (pretend stick) to make sure the inside was not sticky.

after about 10 mins, et voila bread :^) not bad either for a first shot.

This is where i got adventurous. Dug out mess tins, split the rest of mix into 2, to one I added cinnamon, to the other I added grated coconut and then prepared as per the first loaf.

My god they tasted so good I had to go share with my neighbour who is RAF and his kids. Well they have all ordered their loaves for saturday when they will be round in my place for my wifes b/day party. Cinnamon is definately my fav. Thanks all for sharing this receipe.

Look forward to reading more posts and learning more about this lifestyle from you guys n girls.

Phil

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
This is the recipe I have just used

1 1/2 cups plain flour
1 cup milk powder
1/2 Mr Mash(TM) (Instant Potato Flakes)
2 tablespoons dried whole egg
2 tsp Baking Powder
a good pinch of salt

Simple, dry mix, keeps well and is great toasted with lots of fresh butter :)

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
I like the mixing-plastic-bag idea very much, and I'll be preparing sets of those for camping in the future. I'm off to try some bannock now, at home, with some raisins.

Also might try that mashed potato one for brekkie tommorrow.

You can get dried whole egg from Tescos. I had a look just this evening.

Also made my first Bannock this evening. Lovely if a little filling.

New to the forum and to bushcraft but am looking forward to good things to come!

Chris

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the tip. You might want to post in the introductions section and tell us a bit more about yourself. They are a friendly bunch here and there is always someone who can answer your questions.

Cheers

JFW

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
clcuckow said:
This is the recipe I have just used

1 1/2 cups plain flour
1 cup milk powder
1/2 Mr Mash(TM) (Instant Potato Flakes)
2 tablespoons dried whole egg
2 tsp Baking Powder
a good pinch of salt

Simple, dry mix, keeps well and is great toasted with lots of fresh butter :)

I had no bread in monday so I made some up to this recipe but relised I that I had made to much so I desided to make a sweet on by adding demerea sugar and rasins.

I normally don't make sweet bannock as am more of a savory nut and was a bit worried about the Potato Flakes. But even if I do say so it was bloody great. I think from now on I am going to make up bigger batch and just take it out as a base and then if I just want savory all I have to do is add water or add sugar and fruit if I fancy cake.

Christopher

P.S. can you technically call it bannock if it is baked?

Bannock \Ban"nock\, n. [Gael. bonnach.]
A kind of cake or bread, in shape flat and roundish, commonly
made of oatmeal or barley meal and baked on an iron plate, or
griddle; -- used in Scotland and the northern counties of
England. --Jamieson.
[1913 Webster]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE