Ray VS Bear

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Edit, Comparing Bear and Ray ( who i both respect for different reasons) is like comparing Rugby and American Football. Sure in both games you hold and run with the ball, throw it about, jump and stomp on each other, but it just ain't the same game.

Well that's a pretty good explaination!:You_Rock_

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
Ok well since I have never actually had a chance to say anything on this subject I might as well. Ok I don't even think they're the same kinda show. Ray Mears has a show about bushcraft which at least to him is living comfortably in a wilderness environment and so he has some gear and stuff because he isn't saying "hey, I'm out here alone surviving and here's how you do it." he's showing you wilderness living techniques and skills. Bear is saying that he's out surviving although I think everyone knows he isn't. He's basically an insane version of Les Stroud that's all about doing crazy stunts and eating gross stuff. Sure he was in the SAS and he's done some stuff that alot of people can't, but does that have anything to do with bushcraft at all? NO! He's a military guy and his show probably appeals more to the folks that like Rambo kinda survival. I think he's more comparable to Les Stroud but I don't think he's nearly as good. I mean Les is out there alone, doing all the camera work AND all the actual survival stuff. Bear is out there with a camera crew that actually helps him with building his shelters and stuff that he doesn't really sleep in cause he's actually in a hotel. So what I'm saying is that Bear cheats IMO. He's like "Oh it's getting late so my camera crew will help me with my shelter." or "Ok so I didn't catch any rabbits in my snares but somehow I managed to buy one at the market in the middle of the woods, so here's how to cook it." I think that if your showing how to survive, and you don't catch a rabbit, you really shouldn't have one to eat. Also, if people actually followed his survival advice, they'd probably end up dead. I saw one show where I think he was in some jungle or something and there was a little stream, so instead of taking off his socks, rolling up his pants and walking across, he decided to leap to a branch hanging over the stream. I think he said something like "if I walk through I'll get wet, so I'm going to jump to that branch and stay dry but if I slip I'm just going to get wet so I might as well try to stay dry." but the thing I was thinking was, if you slip, your gunna smack your head off the rocky river bottom and drown. He also never really makes a fire by friction or anything. I'm not really a fan of the show as you can probably tell so I haven't seen them all but he always just pulls out his swedish fire steel. Once I saw him try to do the hand drill method but when he said there was an ember, there wasn't even any smoke and then he said it went out so instead of trying again he just whips out his firesteel. His show is fake, everyone knows it but it's still on because they say "It's not saying he's really surviving, he's just showing how to survive.". Ok well that may be true but he sure leads you to beleive he's surviving and besides, if he was showing people how to really survive, I think there'd be alot more injured people out in the woods.

Anyways, that's my opinion. Nice rambling eh? lol

SkogKniv

Dec 7, 2008
Way upstate NY
Scary that such a question could ever have come up as a thread. Crystal clear to me who I would want backing me up...The man himself, Mr. Ray Mears

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I once heard ray talk about `these so called american survival experts` does anybody know who he was referring to?

SkogKniv

Dec 7, 2008
Way upstate NY
I once heard ray talk about `these so called american survival experts` does anybody know who he was referring to?

I would like to know as well. He had one he considered a friend on one of his shows. He was in the Vietnam area I believe. This was on Extreme survival series.

Oct 29, 2008
Canada
Ray = sit down with my 9 year old and learn some interesting stuff to do while out camping

Bear = sit down with my 9 year old and laugh hard and cringe when he eats stuff, then joke about doing it when out camping.

IMO

Treemonk

Forager
Oct 22, 2008
Perthshire
Well, having read a couple of Tom Brown jr's books, my bet would be that "the tracker" is on the list. I got a strong whiff of snake-oil from those pages...

SkogKniv

Dec 7, 2008
Way upstate NY
Well, having read a couple of Tom Brown jr's books, my bet would be that "the tracker" is on the list. I got a strong whiff of snake-oil from those pages...

Tom sells a very different experience of survival. I would say somewhat cult like. I would not attend his classes. I do have a buddy who has gone to three now and spent 3k on them. Tom spends more time talking about native spirit world mumbo jumbo than he does on the skills so it seems. Not to mention the stories of a man called Grandfather of who there is no record of anywhere.

If you want a good yarn of tales and what not then buy a Tom Brown book. That is all it is worth to me. A good piece of fiction.

D

Deleted dude 7861

This topic isn't surely still going on and on and on.....yawn.........:AR15firin

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I don't really know much about tom brown but he sounds like he might have been in the woods Too long!:confused:

I'm still waiting to meet a genuine Gypsy with old'e world'e bushcraft skills:)

Has anyone seen the Guy that worked with "Dirty Sanches" called (a very alpha male) " Mike Hawke". he taught them how to kill cook and eat scorpions spiders and a chicken.

Interesting teaching style I can see it would work very well with teenagers and young men.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
I don't really know much about tom brown but he sounds like he might have been in the woods Too long!:confused:

I'm still waiting to meet a genuine Gypsy with old'e world'e bushcraft skills:)

Has anyone seen the Guy that worked with "Dirty Sanches" called (a very alpha male) " Mike Hawke". he taught them how to kill cook and eat scorpions spiders and a chicken.

Interesting teaching style I can see it would work very well with teenagers and young men.

I think I recall them lot and Mike Hawke all drinking tequila and gorging themselves with chilli until they vomited afterwards.:naughty:

Rob Tangtent

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2009
Warwickshire
i dont want to speak about this really but,
to say real bushcraft is eating gruesome stuff... thats more survival.
bear is survival
ray is bushcraft

you cant tell who is better cos really what they are doing is completely differnt.
I respect both but i think i prefer ray mears as a person.
just because Bear lies so much it makes me think i wouldnt get on with him, ( i generally hate people that lie to big themselves up) but sometimes i dislike ray, thats only cos i think woodlore website is overpriced. Im a bit of a cheapscate ^^

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE