Ray Mears'own knife different?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bogeyman

Tenderfoot
Feb 25, 2007
Heemskerk, the Netherlands
Did anybody notice the difference in Ray Mears’ own knife?

AWwoodlore.jpg

Woodlore.jpg
[/IMG]

This clip from the bushcraft DVD shows that his own knife has handle liners. Also the color of the handles is somewhat grayish opposed to the birdseye maple handles that the “standard” woodlore has.
Steve from SWC suggested it could be that the maple has aged to this color, but looking closer at the rest of the DVD it clearly shows the etching of the woodlore logo in conjunction with the name of Alan Wood as the maker and Ray Mears as the designer.
So it can't be that old, could it?

What do you think? Has it aged like this or is the "master" woodlore different?:confused:
After all, the “standard” woodlore doesn’t have handle liners...;)

Bogeyman :eek:

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Ray uses a number of different knives throughout his filming not just the classic woodlore. This seems to depend on which part of the world he is in etc. For instance he uses a nice little folder when make birch bark containers on a DVD in the extras.

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
I have just been reading a copy of Ray Mears The survival handbook the green cover one ,in it he says "i use a range of knives for different purposes" this shows through in his programs,different knives for different jobs.

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
He does, wisely, use different knives for different reasons. I believe that when in jungles - I saw one on one program just can't remember what one - he uses stainless clippers because of the sheer amount of water and humidity.

mick spain

Nomad
Oct 13, 2005
kent
I think at some point not sure if it was the first antler handled Woodlores, the scales came loose because he was filming in the jungle then they went to artic conditions, it affected the antler

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Ray uses a number of different knives throughout his filming not just the classic woodlore. This seems to depend on which part of the world he is in etc. For instance he uses a nice little folder when make birch bark containers on a DVD in the extras.

Even the man himself doesn't seem to be under the illusion that you have to have a Woodlore type knife for bushcraft :lmao:

I've been telling people that for years! :lol:

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
sorry, not meant to poopoo Mr Mears or his choice of knife. It's just that I dislike bandwagons and I guess fashions too. People assume that the woody is the best general purpose bushcraft knife out there, which is why everybody copies it. If it truley were then there would be no need for other knives, they would all be inferior.

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
I think this raises the question is there such a thing as the perfect knife? I dont think there is and to try to use one for all things there will have to be some compromise in performence. At the end of the day the best knife is the one you have with you at the time be it fixed blade or folder.
I have a WS woodlore (i liked the shape of the blade) a Puma 725 4star folder and a SAK.The SAK is always in my pocket always had a penknife since I was about 6,the Puma goes with me when I go out for a walk in the woods and the woodlore when i camp.So most most of the time when i am out and in the woods or walking I two knives on me. This at my personal prefrence and I think that is what it comes down to in what knife we all use.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Most folk carry two knives. In fact, I've met people who carry many knives! An Opi type knife is always handy to have on you as they are like little razors. They're great for general food prep and small carving jobs such as whittling some chop sticks. Yeah, you can use a big knife to do it too, but if you have been in the guts of an animal and had no way to clean your main knife, then the small back up will be appreciated!

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Most folk carry two knives. In fact, I've met people who carry many knives! An Opi type knife is always handy to have on you as they are like little razors. They're great for general food prep and small carving jobs such as whittling some chop sticks. Yeah, you can use a big knife to do it too, but if you have been in the guts of an animal and had no way to clean your main knife, then the small back up will be appreciated!

i must be a mucky bugger,i only ever use one, but i prefer a 3mm with deep scandi grinds. in my opinion they can do all your tasks from gralloching,gutting,skinning to food prep,i always carry sterile medi wipes to clean the blade.

bernie

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE