Ray Mears

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
It might be worth reading the article on the series in this weeks Radio Times. RM seems a bit cheesed of with the BBC. That's a pity since it is largely down to the BBC and his books, which the BBC gave him permission to publish, that he is where he is and that we all know about him. I'm not singing the praises of the BBC here but just puzzled why he did it. Was not particularly impressed with the show. All seemed a bit tired and been done before:eek:

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
Ray Mears had published his first book before making any BBC series.

With regard to "gratitude": The BBC is an organisation, not a person and did not make the Ray Mears' documentaries out of altruistic reason towards Ray Mears. Ray founded "Woodlore" when he was 19 years old. So it would seem that hte BBC chose him because he was an established "Survivalist". They needed him at least as much as he needed them.

The BBC owns the documentaries in which he appears. They, thus, have the last word on their content. Thus it is quite reasonable that Ray could get annoyed about various aspects of the finished product- especially if he gets blamed for it afterwards.

Thus I got annoyed with the photography in "Northern Wilderness". Far too glossy, repeated aerial shots as you see in "Coast". Exagerrated political correctness, etc, etc. All these faults I blame on the BBC, not on Ray.

I look forward to seeing some documentaries made and owned by him (or Woodlore). Has anyone read the copyright at the end of the credits for the ITV production? Who owns it?

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Survival with Raymears

'Ray Mears applies his expertise in Bushcraft to track down some of the worlds deadliest predators. he begins his quest
in namibia, on the trail of the reclusive leopard.'

I think 'Survival' fulfills the synopsis, if anything I think the title doesn't suit the content of the program. I learnt something new about the wildlife in the African bush but I found the program very American in style with the dramatic music popping up every now and then and the flash action shots. I don't like that and I'm glad there wasn't any wobbly camera. I'd rather do something else than watch Big Cat documentarys. The best bit was the night filming around the watering hole for me. The fact that Ray was involved was the only reason I watched this program.

The title does say 'with' Ray mears so being attached Ray has probably had to act how the producer/director wanted the program to appear, all edgey and exciting. When you look at the end credits the only time I saw rays name was as 'presenter', so as a presenter I think he did a good job. The program as a whole did not leave me inspired as rays other work/stories has in the past. I'm glad I recorded the program as the ads just annoy me and I would have lost interest a lot earlier if I watched it on schedule.

I will record the rest of the series but won't be buying the Book or DVD.

Last edited:

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Just watched the Canada Spirit Bear episode and found that much more interesting.

Looking forward to the Wolf episode when I have time.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
And after all that effort...Did he `catch` anything??

I still prefer Gandar Dowers effort, but it was too novel for GB telly...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE