Ray mears

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Reactions: Janne

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Plan to spend the night in your back yard. Both hot supper and hot breakfast.
No power and no, you can't go in the house for any reason.
Food. Shelter. Clothing.
I'll bet a case of beer that you will figure out a list, pretty damn quick.
Weight-wise, load-wise, that comes with practice.

Reactions: mowerman and Janne

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
For my back garden the most important bit of kit would be a tether to stop you ending up at the bottom overnight. :)

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
That was in fact how dad ‘broke’ me in. First a tent, then a kind of tarp.
To get used to the sounds and so on. I did the same with my son.

Books, no matter how experienced and skilled writer, contain a lot of unneccessary rubbish.

Learn from an old ‘bushcrafter’ , not a book, tv or youtube.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Never any cautions about "camping out" in the back yard. Campfires as we got a bit older
and tried to act more responsibly! That led to 2-3 week wilderness camping trips out of the boat.
Maybe 10 summers in a row? Then living off the grid for several months at a time. No big deal.

One fond memory of my mother was the night I had to cook the fish in clay jackets in the fire.
She coached, did not lift a finger. I had to source the clay and do all the rest.
If there is a next time, I want to learn of some wild herbs to put in and on the fish.

Just get out. Make the list as you go along. Huge numbers of very good ideas in here for
brands of everything and techniques for use. Practice bannock at home.
Then you look like an absolute ace with measured ingredients (and speed) in camp.

Reactions: mowerman

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I can still remember my first camping trip in the new forest. Old army cot to sleep on. Woolen blankets and newspapers to insulate the cot bed. Getting lost in the tall grass and cocoa round a campfire. I was 2yrs old. My first tent was a white cotton pup tent with a separate groundsheet and tie together doors. I was 8 yrs old. Sleeping bag was an old feather eiderdown folded in half and sewn up. A paliasse made of old gunny sacks stuffed with straw. Billycan made of treacle tin with wire coat hanger handles and a toasting fork also made from a wire coathanger. I was also allowed a penknife. lamp was a nightlight in a jam jar with wire hanger. Why do we need some much kit nowadays?

Last edited:
Reactions: Robson Valley

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE