Ray mears

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Yesterday I brought a few books by Ray Mears. The Outdoor Survival Handbook, Essential Bushcraft and Out On The Land. I can't believe I haven't brought them before. Very very good reading. What I think is interesting is how he lists what gear we could/should have that would be if benefit when we are out and about. What's everyone's thoughts? Something to sleep on etc......?

What I find amusing is, if I stick to the 'something to' attitude, I tick all the boxes and even more shockingly, most of my 'somethings' are very similar!

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Yes realy all you need are something to sleep on etc etc. I can remember weekends with just a sleeping bag,tent, roll mat,camping Gaz picnic stove and a set of army style pans tin mug bowl and plate. Eating irons from the kitchen draw. Nowadays it's easy to get caught up in all the latest gear and become what I call a kit monkey . Don't know where that phrase came from. Even I'm susceptible to kit monkey syndrome as I "up grade"my stuff. But then I'm getting older and creakyer so I "need"a better Mat. .. warmer bag etc. I have a small problem with old kit..... it holds memories, and being slightly sentimental I do find it now have too much stuff. I gotta have a clear out sometime soon. I think 5 tents and 4 rucksacks are just too much!thank goodness I don't do handbags and shoes too!

Reactions: Van-Wild

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Something to carry your kit.
Something to sleep in.
Something to sleep on.
Something to cook with (pan)
Something to eat with.
Something to provide shelter.
Warm clothes and waterproofs.(appropriate clothing)
Good boots and socks.
Something to light your fire/cooker with.

Reactions: Van-Wild

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Food, Shelter, Clothing. Same as anywhere else.
Do try to mesh with the seasons and you are set to go.

You never have to mess with the likes of my environment so ignore it.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
For me, it is this. Is anyone similar or do u have any thoughts?

Something to carry your kit. A 50 ltr rucksack, or for shorter trips a hip pack.

Something to sleep in. Ajunglak 3 season bag.

Something to sleep on. Army surplus inflatable mat.

Something to cook with (pan) zebra Billy can and a small fry pan.

Something to eat with. Army surplus metal spoon.

Something to provide shelter. A big tarp or usually my JervenBag.

Warm clothes and waterproofs. I layer up weather dependant. Fleece or wool. For waterproofs I wear goretex.

Good boots and socks. Approach shoes in hot/dry, light boots mostly. And I love my welly boots. (Probably slip them on for ease in most tasks...)

Something to light your fire/cooker with. Trangia stove, or a small open fire.

Reactions: Janne

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Mustn't forget a first aid kit, and navigation (map and compass). Plus a torch or headlamp and water carrier of some sort.

Reactions: Janne

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Something to eat, coffee/tea, chocolate (preferably Lindt 85%) and toilet paper. A small soap, one of those you take from a hotel.
Lindt 85%. A man after my own heart!

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Chocolate!of course. Far more important than anything else.just been to a certain swedish store today and got choc with blueberries. Choc with lignonberry. Choc with gingerbread crumbs. Some lovely knackerbrod . Some biccies for others to munch. Cheese. Meatballs. cream sauce and elk sausage. Salmon fillets and rosti. Mmmm I'm hungry.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Lindt 70% with cassis or orange is OK.
Cruise on past the candy to the baking ingredients section.
Buy a big chunk of baking chocolate. Various % solids.

My few mountaineering books (Freedom of the Hills, etc) each have food chapters.
They all recommend high calorie prepared meats and nuts for the fats.
Complex carbs such as starches and grains are good.
They all recommend herbs and spices for attraction.
Heat or warm up everything. No cold food, not even sugar cookies.

Very few of us have to or need to live like that for more than 7-10 days.
Make the food as attractive as possible.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Chocolate!of course. Far more important than anything else.just been to a certain swedish store today and got choc with blueberries. Choc with lignonberry. Choc with gingerbread crumbs. Some lovely knackerbrod . Some biccies for others to munch. Cheese. Meatballs. cream sauce and elk sausage. Salmon fillets and rosti. Mmmm I'm hungry.
WOW!
They have improved the selection hugely!!!!!!

Is the chocs still Made in Germany?
The Swedish food they sell is not the best quality, but better than nothing!

Last edited:

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Actually it's made in Spain. It says it is ethical and traceable. Utz certified whatever that means. Very nice choc. I only went to keep a friend company. Spent over £70. But did get candles glassware towels and new pillows too. I will be returning after Xmas to get a new matress and further bedding. Never been before. I'm hooked!

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Something to carry your kit.
Something to sleep in.
Something to sleep on.
Something to cook with (pan)
Something to eat with.
Something to provide shelter.
Warm clothes and waterproofs.(appropriate clothing)
Good boots and socks.
Something to light your fire/cooker with.
Now here is an irony as I get older and less able to carry heavy loads, my rucksack gets bigger, my sleeping bag gets warmer, you have the picture.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Check the size of your bed carefully. The spring matresses ( the most expensive ones) were made in a factory just south of where I lived in Sweden. I hunted with the owner.

Ikea is not all bad quality. The cheapest stuff is not so fantastic, but fully functional. The more expensive furniture is very, very good quality.

I have now made IKEA kitchens in 8 houses. Love them.

Reactions: Woody girl

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Now here is an irony as I get older and less able to carry heavy loads, my rucksack gets bigger, my sleeping bag gets warmer, you have the picture.

Yes I have that problem too. Now I can afford the better gear. I can't carry it due to spinal and hip and leg problems . I have been known to use a four wheel shopping trolly to transport gear. Necessity is the mother of invention, and it works well.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Check the size of your bed carefully. The spring matresses ( the most expensive ones) were made in a factory just south of where I lived in Sweden. I hunted with the owner.

Ikea is not all bad quality. The cheapest stuff is not so fantastic, but fully functional. The more expensive furniture is very, very good quality.

I have now made IKEA kitchens in 8 houses. Love them.
Thanks I will choose carefully. I did lay down on my preferred mattresses for a good half hour each. Still havnt made up my mind which to get yet.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
IKEA used to sell ( still sell?) a really nice Mozzie net, it was designed to hang from the ceiling to create a nice cosy 'African expedition' feeling.
I bought it, removed the "spreader ring" and used in the forest. Brilliant, cheap.

Spanish choc is quite nice. Apart from the Lindt 85% I buy Spanish choc bars which are sugarfree, sweetened with Stevia. Lindt is of course much better.

Reactions: Woody girl

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE