Ray Mears Woodsman Shirt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
How is £95 for a shirt justified? A shirt's a shirt at the end of the day.
I like my Champion fleece-lined shirts bought from a gentlemans clothing shop for £12 each, I've worn them in the Arctic and they were perfect.

I remember when I was at school and all the kids had flash expensive football boots, I was always bought a cheap pair and my dad would say 'It ain't nothing to do with what boots you've got, it's the player that's stood in 'um" - how right he was.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
How is £95 for a shirt justified? A shirt's a shirt at the end of the day.

And a pen's a pen - but you can spend over two grand on a Cartier solid gold diamond-set ballpoint pen.

Whether something is value for money or not is not just a function of the item and the price - it also depends very much on how much money you have. There is always money to be made simply by selling an item at a higher price, because there's plenty of people out there with lots of money who are looking to spend it. Heck, I bet there's a gentleman's outfitter out there somewhere where you can spend more than £95 on a pair of underpants.

How can it be justified? Easy - people are willing to pay it. Welcome to a market economy.

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
I've seen bimble's smock, it's the doggies doodads. Although one still needs to know one's way around a sewing machine, something that has sadly eluded me. Would I pay £95 for a shirt? No. But then I don't have a problem with anyone else who may choose to do so.

It's horses for courses as far as I can see.

j.dee69

Mar 7, 2009
Lancashire
A can't beleive how much a woodlore knife is £270!! . it may very well be a good knife but so is a helle at £70. I can't beleive there's people out there paying this much and then having to wait months to get it. one word "CRAZY" springs to mind.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Yeah, crazy is your opinion, but its someone ele's money, let them spend it on what they want, who knows, when it gets sweaty they may discard it and i'll find it in a charity shop for a fiver !.

Found something very similar the other day at boundry mills, made by timberland, and for sale at £40, still to much for me(the wife was watching !).

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I was watching an American TV show, 'Criminal Minds' FBI show, one of the agents is looking at video footage and says, "Look its a tactical shirt" "A what" replies another agent, "A tactical shirt, all the nuts and survival types who go running round the woods wear them" :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I agree fully about the Dockers and Pendleton shirts, hard wearing, warm and won't break the bank, in the summer I tend to use cotton tee shirts or polo tops, even have some green ones;)

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Still going strong after a year,not at a thread out of place.

Worn on average c. 3 times a week.

Very hard wearing shirt.

Craghoppers?....Lots of buttons missing,easily torn. In comparison to 5.11 shirts not value for money.

And not comparable to the woodsman.

For me...been a great buy.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I agree with you Barney, your money your choice and YOU ARE HAPPY WITH IT, good for you, wish i could afford half a dozen !.

eskimo

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 1, 2006
Humberside
A can't beleive how much a woodlore knife is £270!! . it may very well be a good knife but so is a helle at £70. I can't beleive there's people out there paying this much and then having to wait months to get it. one word "CRAZY" springs to mind.

I was just going to say the same thing. I know people that use a clipper for the exact same things as a woodlore, and with just as much skill. £7 against £270 go figure!!

If I looked at all the things I had bought even though there was a much cheaper alternative, I would be crying my eyes out. But I buy things because I like them.

Now if you excuse me I have a gold toilet seat just waiting to be sat on.

happybonzo

Tenderfoot
Dec 17, 2005
Nr Emsworth, Hants
Anyone else actually used the shirt and would like to comment on it?

If you buy something then you are pleased with it: If you are sold something then, generally, you are not pleased with it

When I have had to teach new Staff I have always tried to impress this on them.
If you say " I bought this car / lawnmower / shirt" then you can be pretty d**n sure that the person is pleased. In saying this people are displaying pride of ownership. When they say that they were sold something it implies that they were pressured into a purchase.

People have the right to spend their money where they like and thank goodness for that. I would be the last person to stop anyone from doing so. Otherwise we would all be running around looking like the Chinese at the time of the Cultural Revolution.

What I do question is the prices being charged. We must all be aware that the greater majority of all clothing comes from China.

What I do find a bit dubious is the re-branding of goods. I would very much like to have both the Orvis and Ray Mears shirt tested by one of the consumer research labs to see what, if any, the differences were.

I am not blaming Mr Mears for this because he has now become a brand and is being marketed in much the same way that Bacon Grylls is

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
Does anybody that actually has a Woodsman shirt, wanna swap it for my Orvis Malpai shirt, just for comparison that is. Would swop straight back after a few days. Atleast then we would have a good comparision against the 2 shirts.

Anyone ?

Paul

mayobushcraft

Mar 22, 2007
Yeovil somerset
I've been watching this shirt for ages, wondering who would buy it, even after I read a positive review someone posted a year back. I've been using Craghoppers and last year left them in a wet pile in the conservatory after a trip. To cut a long story short they needed replacing so I went off to Blacks. I love Craghoppers, but the silly twits have gone and put Grylls name all over them. I left them on the shelf. After buying a new belt from Woodlore, I checked out the shirt again, thought 'sod it' hit the buy button, and now I have one.

Expensive, oh yes, impulse buy, most definately, still got a 'name on it, yes, but at least Ray is respected. And am I happy? Too bloody right. I wish I'd bought this months ago, it's built to last all types of hard work, sweat, dirt, abrasive log lugging, etc, etc. Very well made. I'm even going to buy another. I very highly recommend it.

I also stopped at Blacks with the wife and saw a nice shirt with pockets where I like them. I picked it up thought the price right them saw the BG name all over it. Put it back on the rack and asked if they had something similar without the BG on it. Was told they didnt. Its a shame I would have payed a bit more for one without.

happybonzo

Tenderfoot
Dec 17, 2005
Nr Emsworth, Hants
Its a shame when some "celebrity" endorsement puts one off buying a product, isn't it. I've found Craghoppers to be quite reasonable kit but I would prefer not to have poor Mr Grylls name stuck on it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE