Ray Mears Knife in Stock!

mikey.elefant

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
israel
I beg to differ with you biker, if had the cash i would buy one of those woodys from Duncan at FGYT, same steel same finish same leather. Josh(siberianfury) is also putting out some nice ones and is asking for very little amounts of money, you'l have enough left over to buy the Mrs. something nice!

Woodcutter2

Forager
Jul 31, 2011
Conyer, Kent
www.tpknives.com
I beg to differ with you biker, if had the cash i would buy one of those woodys from Duncan at FGYT, same steel same finish same leather. Josh(siberianfury) is also putting out some nice ones and is asking for very little amounts of money, you'l have enough left over to buy the Mrs. something nice!

You are of course correct to state the materials are the same....

mikey.elefant

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
israel
The workmen ship isn't all that different either, for a user there is really no need for an over engineered knife(they have become collectibles unfortunately and IMO not worth the money just because of the names etched on) if i gave you a Ferrari and took off the symbols it will excel every test you put it threw just like the original with symbols-to me that is the difference between my woody "clone" from Duncan than a Ray Mears one, do SWC have any kind of special machinery, or maybe a super steel that no one has heard of ?

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Just realised this topic has gone quite far off topic from what I was originally asking. Personally I don't think you can ever blame someone for making money (immorale reasons aside of course), if he can sell them at £325, good for him!

What I was actually asking was whether the SWC knife has gone up in price or am I misremembering? I thought initially it was £250 designed to be a cheaper alternative to the A.Wood. It's still cheaper obviously but I think it's base price has climbed......or am I wrong?!

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Just realised this topic has gone quite far off topic from what I was originally asking. Personally I don't think you can ever blame someone for making money (immorale reasons aside of course), if he can sell them at £325, good for him!

What I was actually asking was whether the SWC knife has gone up in price or am I misremembering? I thought initially it was £250 designed to be a cheaper alternative to the A.Wood. It's still cheaper obviously but I think it's base price has climbed......or am I wrong?!

Nope, you are correct, started off at £250 in 2009.

They have changed the handle material also.

Cody

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2007
New York, USA
Man that's a nice knife. Love that guy's work. I think the price is fair. Wouldn't want him to have a 10 year + waiting list, would we? :p

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
this might go against the flow but why knock it.. if there are enough fools around to pay, why not do the right thing and let them..

it might even feel good to have one, or better still give it away as a present to a loved one.

ps my 10 quid folder that ive carried for about 20 years still has a steel that I can shave with after a sharpen :)

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
I can understand wanting to buy a nice custom knife, i have a Stu Mitchell and a Serreta on the way so i'm the last person to judge anyone.

I can also understand that it makes absolutely no logical sense to pay over £200 on a knife.
It's not like it's going to get used and for me personally having a knife JUST to look at is kinda like having Monica Belluci as a Mrs only for you not to do the horizontal lambada with her.

But i also understand we're all different and if it's your hard earned it's entirely up to you what you do with it.

Lastly i understand why that specific knife would be on the top of some ones list, it does have fantastic lines, and looks to be very well thought out.

What i don't understand is why the hell would you pay near on DOUBLE the price just to have some other blokes name etched on the knife.

By my reckoning going by these prices:
http://swc-handmade-knives.co.uk/SWC_handmade_Knives/KNIFE_ORDER_&_PRICING.html

It's £157 for the knife, £23 for the tapered tang, extra £12 for reclaimed English oak
That's £192 total.

You can also have the knife dispatched within 5 days of ordering as well.
http://swc-handmade-knives.co.uk/SWC_handmade_Knives/Coming_Soon_KNIVES_FOR_SALE.html

So lets say you really push the boat out and get some beautiful engraving/etching, liners and pins.
You'll end up with a knife that's the EXACT same spec, from the EXACT same maker, but it'll be better looking (as i say it's not like your going to regularly use a £300+ knife is it) than the RM one and you'll not have to go on this PR rubbish 10 year waiting list PLUS you'll still save over £50 on the RM knife.
trigger.gif

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
First off mucho respect for using those knives, each to their own and all that but i really really hate to see any tool that was designed and built for work to just sit collecting dust.

So hat off to you goodjob

I did specifically say regular use though, do you use them regularly?

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
First off mucho respect for using those knives, each to their own and all that but i really really hate to see any tool that was designed and built for work to just sit collecting dust.

So hat off to you goodjob

I did specifically say regular use though, do you use them regularly?

I did have fourteen - with two of each,

finalcollectionprofile.jpg

But, I am just down to two now. A SWC and a AW/RM Woodlore. And yes, they are my main users.

As far as I am aware; those I sold on are being used by their new owners.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE