Ray Mears Fundamental Bushcraft course - some advice sought

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

py6km

Mar 4, 2014
UK
I'm booked onto one of these later this year in the summer, and am looking for advice from anyone who has been on one, or something similar.

In particular, I am becoming increasing concerned about ticks, to the point where I seriously considering relinquishing my place on the course.

Perhaps being paranoid, but not usually worried about bugs etc, but I'm sure we're all aware of the really quite serious bugs that can be spread if you're bitten.

Can anyone who's been on a course like this (or this one) share any experiences? Perhaps I simply need a reality check, but my gut feeling is that the critters are likely to be there, and certain activities, like messing around with lots of leaf litter, will leave you open a much higher chance of being bitten. I'd plan to take sensible precuations of course, but am beginning to feel that being concerned about this issue is going to affect my experience.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I did the course a few years ago with no insect issues.

If you really are that concerned, why not call them and ask what their views are?

ATB

Ogri the trog

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
If you take the normal precautions then I cant see a problem, my self I've not had a tick, loads of bites tho.

My way of thinking if your worrying about thing like ticks to that degree then perhaps not really the thing for you. Ticks and things like them are not just on courses but every where, think you answered your own question..

You need a reality check... your just as likely to get a Tick from just walking in the woods/outdoors world...

This may seem harsh but its real life.... there's more dangers out there the Ticks.. manly man made or self made.....

Just get out there and enjoy yourself.. just be aware of them and deal with them as or IF you get one.. :)

do the course Bud you'll have fun, and get out and enjoy the outdoor world.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
not done the course so no help there. If you are worried about ticks just spray your clothes with some permetherin. lasts ages and kills on contact. I wouldnt worry about it TBH, just check yourself at the end of each day with a mirror and carry a tick tweezer. My understanding of ticks is they prefer to climb something and attack from height which makes sense if you want to land on a sheep, dog or deer etc etc. Not so common in leaf litter

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I did the course a few years ago with no insect issues.

If you really are that concerned, why not call them and ask what their views are?

Like Ogri, I did the course 6 years ago and asked about it at the time.

Advice from the instructors was they may be present but just take the same sensible precautions you would when you're out in any other wood.

In all the time I've been bushcrafting and working in the woods I've only ever had one tick and that was over 35 years ago.

For peace of mine get yourself a tick remover as you never know when you might need it :)

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Just make sure you have a mirror and tick remover, and check your self over at the end of the day.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I think its good your aware of the possible dangers but I dont think its an issue on a standard Bushcraft course - I've done four & never had a tick. My advice would be to wear long trousers & long sleeves and check yourself at the end of each day.
I work in the Scottish Highlands & have at certain times of year had to literally brush the ticks off my trousers. Bracken & new grass are by far the worst offenders in my experience - I agree with Bare Thrills that leaf litter (which you will probably be using for your shelter) dosn't harbour ticks. I usually get three or four ticks a year, thier hard to avoid if you spend a lot of time outdoors.
If you get flu like symtoms or a 'Bullseye' around a bite post the course then its off to see the doc. Otherwise just relax & enjoy the course, its a great experience I'm sure you will enjoy.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Never really worried about ticks.. Been bitten dozens of times over the years- doesn't hurt and just get into the routine of checking yourself in the evening- check everywhere mind, groins, backs of knees etc. Use a tick remover and first sign of a rash / bullseye get to the GP and tell them you've been bitten by a tick and you are concerned about Lymes Disease. Early treatment is key.

It's a risk right enough, but not one that should stop you enjoying the outdoors bud.

rancid badger

Seriously?

I've attended several "similar" courses, all military however but never picked up a tick yet. I've also spent many, many days, indeed weeks out, sometimes spending quite a while creeping about and even sleeping in bracken thickets, with the same result.

However, I have also run numerous skills courses and training exercises etc and several students/recruits/staff have indeed picked up the odd tick but we had a system in place for checking both yourself and your "buddy". You usually need someone else to check your harder to see and reach bits.

They are fairly simple to remove with the right tools and you can even improvise with thread if needs be. Take a look at this link, it gives some fairly useful info:
http://www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk/about-ticks/tick-removal/

To be honest, if you're that worried about this sort of thing, then I'd suggest two options- Either just forget about the whole thing or get "genned up", buy the removal tools and go for it.

Of course, if you knocked it on the head, you'd save yourself quite a bit of money.

Good luck

Steve

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'd say go on the course, ask about ticks and they may include the beasties in the course matter for you! I think that if you are going into any rural area (gardens includes) ticks are going to be present. So precautions need to be taken. As some of you know I had a bad reaction to lymes disease (I worked and played outdoors for years) and ended up with a pacemaker and on the waiting list for a new hip. Ticks are out there and have been for a long time. Ötzi the Iceman had lymes disease so it's not new. Take care, use a spray or the Don't Bite Me patches and you should be safer. Plus as others have said a mirror and a set of Tom O Tick and you should be laughing. I hate ticks as much as most folk but I still want to get out doors and they're pretty ubiquitous.

Have fun,
GB.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
I live in tick central, no shortage here, does it stop me heading off out up the hill through head height tick infested bracken? no. Do I pick up ticks? yes. Are the ticks here infected with lymes? yes.

Wear a hat, long sleeved base layer top; in cotton if it's hot, tucked into long trousers, trousers tucked into socks. In the evening check yourself out, wrists neck line and hair line (get someone to do the back of the head, paying particular attention to just under the the hair of the hair line). Get a tick tool, or learn the twist and pull maneuver with tweezers.

If you pick up a bite that swells badly, develops the telltale bullseye ring, and or come down with flu like symptoms a week or two after being bitten; go to the doc's and mention ticks and lymes, insist on a blood test and take the meds.

Life is too short to curtail activity for the sake of the thought of perhaps picking up a tick.

The most recent cases of lymes round here that I know of all involve people who never stray further than their back gardens.

If traveling to eastern europe, speak to your doctor about an encephalitis shot.

Never been on a course, but I doubt Ray's mob will be landing you knowingly in a tick infested wood etc.

Bartooon

Nomad
Aug 1, 2007
New Forest
Don't let your fear of those nasty little ticks spoil your enjoyment of what should be a great course! If you have gone to the not-inconsiderable cost of booking yourself on a Ray Mears course you are presumably planning to get out into the woods and pursue the hobby further and that will invariably mean coming across ticks and other bugs and beasties.

I'm afraid the harsh truth is that if you are really that worried about ticks then perhaps bushcraft is not the thing for you.

I live and work in the New Forest and pick up more than a few ticks every season. Sure they are irritating in every sense of the word, but if you take sensible precautions like checking yourself over at the end of the day and removing them with a tick-remover they need not spoil your enjoyment of the woods.

Lymes Disease is a small possibility, but then so is getting run over by a bus!

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Like most of the others above, I have been bitten many times, and not had any adverse effects like those of Goatboy, If you find them fairly quickly and remove them as soon as possible the chances are that you will be OK, but do watch out
for the bulls eye swelling as mentioned before, I don't give them a lot of thought, but am more concerned about Cleggs
and midges, Gleggs thrive in nasty bug ridden areas and bites often go septic, and Midges just itch for ages.
Juts get out and enjoy yourself in the countryside , you will come home rejuvenated and a lot more informed.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Did a tracking course with them two years ago so spent a great deal of my time crawling on my belly through the woods. Checked myself over every night just I case and didn't find any. I generally check myself when doing bushy things in deer or sheep country and have only ever had to remove a couple (using a tick removal tool - well worth getting one.) Lyme Disease is a dreadful thing but I wouldn't want the possibility of getting it stopping me getting out and about.

Turistas

Mar 21, 2014
London/Kent
Hi,
From my expierence about Tick. I had plenty of them every year 3-5 summer. I try to use Tick Repellent but never helps( once I had on leg climbing after spray this 4 Ticks:))) ), after that I decide dont waste money. Just every time when I back from trip I check myself carefull ( underarms,under ears, in hair, groin area), then check clothes. If i find some them,I take Tick with tweezers just near by skin and rotate counterclockwise and same tame pull. All time helps for me, full Tick come. And just disinfect that area. But PLEASE if
you see {first sign of a rash / bullseye get to the GP and tell them you've been bitten by a tick and you are concerned about Lymes Disease- from post nr 8}. Try use REPELENT maybe it helps for you.

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
There ARE Ticks on the Eridge Estate, it's deer park and full of bracken. I've seen Ticks there. But, take basic precautions and you'll be fine. Ask the Woodlore Staff what they recommend. Don't ditch on the course, Ticks aren't endemic and as others have said you can pick up a Tick anywhere.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Hi,
If i find some them,I take Tick with tweezers just near by skin and rotate counterclockwise and same tame pull.

This really isn't a good idea. You are likely to force the contents of the tick's stomach into you, increasing the chance of getting an infection.

Get a tick remover. It's probably possible to improvise with cotton thread, some split wood or plastic.

Turistas

Mar 21, 2014
London/Kent
This really isn't a good idea. You are likely to force the contents of the tick's stomach into you, increasing the chance of getting an infection.

Get a tick remover. It's probably possible to improvise with cotton thread, some split wood or plastic.
I never try tick remover I will check;)
And in my country- if I want I can have Tick Vaccine, maybe here all can have as well.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
I never try tick remover I will check;)
And in my country- if I want I can have Tick Vaccine, maybe here all can have as well.

There's no vaccine available for Lymes, and as yet our ticks don't carry encephalitis, so at the moment there's shot required for the UK.

This could change as encephalitis infected ticks are heading this way, spreading east to west across europe, all it will take are few infected ticks to hitch a ride on a bird and it could arrive here, but that is still some time away, if it arrives at all.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE