Ray Mears Endorses 5.11 Tactical

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Yeah - I met him at the Outdoor Trade Show and had a bit of a chat - it seems he genuinely likes the kit and endorses PART of the 5.11 range as suitable for his Bushcrafty wear.
Mind you RM is a bit slow - I have been using it for years now :) - did he notice and copy me?
RM does not have his name all over the kit, nor has he designed any of it - same old 5.11 top quality kit....but with RMs name on the swing ticket and in the advertizing.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
He had to catch up with the three of us eventually!

Four. I've still got my original given to me in 99 by a US friend of mine who swore by them. He was right. I cary all my paperwork in the whopping breast pocket when out surveying, brillant gear.

I'm glad it's not going to be carrying his logo on the shirt itself though. I like RMs gear, but I'd prefer my shirts without that.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I have some shirts bought 2003 that are still going strong after several thousand miles of wear and tear. :)

However the quality seemed to drop a bit around 2006 with buttons being poorly sewn on and one or two other problems, can recent purchasers confirm that the quality is as good as it once was?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I have some shirts bought 2003 that are still going strong after several thousand miles of wear and tear. :)

However the quality seemed to drop a bit around 2006 with buttons being poorly sewn on and one or two other problems, can recent purchasers confirm that the quality is as good as it once was?

Can't say I've noticed any problems with quality to be honest.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
No probs here either. Them shirts just get better with age! Those pockets are vast, can't believe Ray was so slow catching on there.... lol

Need to try trousers next.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
..... can't believe Ray was so slow catching on there.... lol

I don't think he was. He's been wearing them for years and had them on sale on his site for at least ten. This is just an announcement that they officially endorsed by him and 5:11 are acknowledging that with a cross promo.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I got issued with the trousers in 2006, as i had control of our budget, i orderd them for a couple of years before we were stopped and told to wear issue uniform, it must of been the green one's that were "orderd by mistake"that caused it.

Rob

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
Hi,

what about the Taclite serie or the TDU Twill pants, all 65% polyester and 35% cotton? I could use a source of not too expensive polycotton trousers. The craghoppers are too noisy and the fabric does not breath as well as G1000. Are the 5.11 better in that dimension?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I wear the ripstop poly cotton ones. I have just worn out a pair. Reckon it took nearly a decade. Toughest trousers I have ever owned

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yep. much much quieter than Kiwis - thicker material, removable knee pads, double seat and knee. Much tougher and quieter (the ripstop ones - there are several types). Kiwis are cooler in the heat though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE