Ray Mears Bushcraft - can you name that tune?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
form the Bushcraft series I've recognised bits of tunes from the likes of Beth Orton, John Martyn and Nick Drake.

I've also recognised other tunes that I can't put a name to...

mrstorey

Forager
Ah, I've just had a listen to a sample of the track at CD Universe and it really doesn't sound anything like it, I'm afraid. The piece I'm looking for is a lone woman's voice sort of crooning over an atmospheric sort of keyboardy thing. I Believe seems to be a hi-NRG Euro dancefest of a song. Where did you get that info from, dommyracer?

dommyracer said:
Apparently, its "I believe" by Patricia Manterola.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I got the info from aforementioned Shazam.

Unforunately I didn't have time to verify it - sorry, I should have said that in the first place.

nomade

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 8, 2004
Sutton (Surrey, UK)
Only thing I know is that the choice of music is entirely made by the BBC and Ray has no say in it. So any question should be put to the BBC, the team who put the program together.

Roy's Badger

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2005
Kernow
"the in sound from way out" is an album by the beastie boys of all people, and tracks from it get used a lot on rays stuff. So do primal scream. Can't be his own choice; he said he liked take that on jo whiley's show.

Have to agree. If it was Ray's choice, there'd be a funky mix of Gary Barlow and big scandanavian women being the 'big wind' (still haven't forgiven him for ruining that episode).

Jeez, my ears have started healing over just thinking about it....

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
According to my ex-flatmate, with whom I had a delightful Nepalese* meal last
night, there was a bit of PJ Harvey's "I think I'm a mother" on yesterday's
episode. Missed it myself but I am putting my trust in the BBC's reliable
repeat service ;)

*He's just come back from scampering about up mountains there.

Yesterday i watched a couple of episodes on sky at work, today i get home and decide to watch the dvd to name some tracks of artists i recognised but i realised that the dvd version is not the same as the tv version as most if not all of the commercial music has been replaced with musak. I guess it's to do with licensing fees but for the record there was tunes (in the 2 jungle episodes) from those great producers Kruder & Dorfmeister, Bonobo, Primal Scream and as spamel pointed out Nightmares on wax (Les Nuits)

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Jodie said:
At least with adverts we have that fantastic website (whose name
currently evades me) from which I found out that I didn't want to buy
a car but I did want to buy a Philip Glass CD ;)
...glad I did as I recognised "The Grid" from Koyaanisqatsi in an
earlier Arnhemland episode. It's similar to "Cloudscape" on the
same album (and film) that was used in the Carbon Trust's
advert recently. Also "Pruit Igoe" was on that "it's only a car"
advert from BMW.

That website is Commercial Breaks and Beats:
http://www.commercialbreaksandbeats.co.uk/index.asp

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Although I'd enjoyed the programmes when they were broadcast I remember the reason I
sat down specifically to watch the UKTV History day of bushcraft was because I
wanted to hear the piece of music used in the Sweden episode - this is not the same one
as on the DVDs, I've since discovered. I don't think that piece of music was actually
played on the day, or possibly I was out of the room at the time hehe.

I've just found that someone's added the original version to YouTube and the music is at
the beginning of this bit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hKDwzP2OUM
It matches the snowscape perfectly.

...and of course, while I was watching I thought "well that's a bit clever"... and here I am :D
But it was the music in the first place though.

I'm a bit troubled to see that someone called "WildernessSkills" has added so much of
the material that is already available for purchase, even though I'm secretly grateful it's
let me hear that music again.

EDIT: and the music is a cover of a Slowdive track, by Ulrich Schnauss, called Blue Skied
an' clear.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
If anyone's intrested the music from Ray's bit on Tracks is by the Scottish Band Capercaillie a few of them are on 'Dusk till Dawn'. Its a great album if you like Scottish folk music.
Ed

JM74

Jul 29, 2012
Glasgow
Hi everyone, I'm simply registering here to ask this question (please, God, let someone know and tell me !) -

Can ANYONE please tell me what the name of this piece of music is (or the name of the artist/performer) ? It begins playing at 0:14- 0:15 and sounds what I can only describe as 'African' in its style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-KExQub32A

(Also, those shorts of Rays'..... good grief, sir ! Ahem, modesty, cough...cough)

Someone PLEEEEASE tell me the name of this music, it's been driving me mental for a few weeks now. I've tried downloading various artists and albums, all to no avail. Any information relevant to this music is most welcome, I thank you in advance and wish you all well in your experiences in the great outdoors. May you gain beneficial knowledge and lose some useless knowledge !

May 15, 2010
new zealand
Hi Michael,

The song is this ... " Envoyons d'l'avant, nos gens! "

Just type into youtube. Cheers!

I recently heard a piece of music that I'd really like to get hold of.

It's from Ray Mears' Bushcraft, series 1 programme 1 - Aboriginal Britain.

The big question is... Does anyone know what the beautiful piece of music is that is playing while he's fishing for flounders on the Thames?

Cheers,

Michael.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Wow Bear,
Talk about threadmancy. Did you have a quiet day today?
Good work on tracking down the music though.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE