Ray Jardine

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
He's a pretty interesting guy. He's had a huge impact on the backpacking industry with his ultra light backpacking methods. I learned a lot from his book on Beyond Backpacking. I don't buy into all his methods but he helped me shave an easy 10+ pounds off my load.

I'm surprised to see a scandi knife kit on his site. Didn't think he was really into knives at all.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Yup - I rate Ray Jardine - I think he has alot of very good points that can be applied directly by us bushcrafters. His kit is ultra lightweight nylon fandango stuff, but even then he carries very little - cooks over a fire, stealth camps under a tarp, find good drinking water.....
I'm still plugging my way through "beyond backpacking" but there are some real gems in their.

Cheers
Rich

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
I've read his books beyond backpacking and The Rayway Tarp Book. Not all of his ideas suit walking in Australia (to my mind anyay), but the ones I have used have been excellent, ie. using a tarp, a quilt, the one-shoulder carry, wearing running shoes etc.
I have sewed his quilt kit, which is a steal. I needed help sewing the insulation however, so if you are a reasonably inexperienced sewer, as I am, get help with it.
I also sewed the waterproof silnylon stow bag, which turned out looking quite professional. I would love to try making one of his backpacks (weighs 9 oz!) but I'm not sure the mesh side pockets would survive off track walking.
I'd also like to make up one of his knife kits.
It seems that most people either love or hate Ray, but I think that beyond Backpacking has so much info on ALL aspects of walking.
I've always thought of him as a bit of a bushcrafter anyway... sewing his own gear, cooking on a fire, tarping, knifemaking, he even runs a 'connection camp' where they use a fire drill!

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
Hi Motorbike Man,
yeah, I use the quilt in a hammock. I found getting into a sleepingbag and then into the hammock to be a pain. The quilt is much easier.
I also use a quilt strapped to the bottom of the hammock.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
He has a very interesting website - thank you for the link.

He has clearly travelled a lot on foot or kayak and I share his scepticism of the Outdoor industry trying to persuade us to buy more and more expensive kit. His kit looks good and light and I agree about the pleasure of using kit you've put together yourself. I built a ham radio transceiver myself and I well remember the thrill the first time I used it. People are conditioned into thinking that making things (whether a knife, a tarp or a radio) is difficult and are often astonished by someone using homebrew kit.

No prices on the site - not sure how they compare.

He has some questionable ideas about 'emf' from alarm clocks etc making you ill. I do get annoyed by bad science and I'm afraid this made me a bit more sceptical about him.

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
I have a copy of his book, though I haven't read it that thoroughly like I have The Complete Walker. Everything that Colin Fletcher writes is interesting to read, whether or not you are interested in walking. What Jardine writes is interesting in a way but it somehow makes me want to give up walking. The thing is, he is a little too authorative and preachy in what he says.

Just like Wal-Mart, people either love him or hate him. But to be fair, there is another side. His book is much more thorough and covers more subject matter than I have ever seen anyone giving him credit for. But evidently my interest, experiences, objectives and time resources are a lot different from his, so he hasn't been of much value to me.

Something else I have noticed about contemporary outdoor books is that they are generally a lot longer than similiar books published 70 or 80 years ago, with some exceptions. The older books dwelt more on hunting and fishing, too, which is almost totally absent from the current range of books. It is as if there are now two types of outdoors people: people who hunt and fish and people who hike and camp. As if there were no overlapping interests at all. It at least appears that the pure hiking and camping crowd (the ones who believe in pristine wilderness) go in for completely different range of equipment and even shop in different stores. They probably ski and mountain bike, too. They probably don't own firearms. They probably haven't been in the service either.

I realize I may be exaggerating to make a point.

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
Motorbike Man said:
I have to say, I'm not sure I fancy the idea of no waist belt on a biggish rucsac though, your back would end rather painful after a long hike

Well, it is rather based on the 8-10lb baseline packweight he advocates, less than many daysack loads and fine sans waistbelt (IMO)

I found the book very good on the practical side, and brim full o' codswallop in the (very limited) bits dealing with alternative therapies/technologies/realities
:rolleyes:

Your mileage may vary, of course, and as a practical outdoorsman he clearly knows his stuff, albeit in a slightly more nylon-friendly way than the bushcraft Ray.

Didn't he invent "friends" (climbing gear) a few decades back.

Top bloke notwithstanding my para. 2.

Jim.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
The things I learn...

The company GoLite was based on selling equipment similar to what Ray uses. Ray was a consultant to the company when it started. After reading this thread, I popped over to golite.com to see what was happening and noticed Jardine's name was absent. GoLite has posted the following describing their view on what is going on. It's kinda sad when you see stuff like this but there's the outdoors and then there's the business of the outdoors. When you buy gear, it's always worth considering what it is your favorite outdoors expert is trying to market to you. :( When there's money involved, things often have a way of focusing on market share and the bottom line.

GoLite vs Ray Jardine

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Thanks for the link Hoodoo. It is a sad day. :( I have read and enjoyed Rays titles for years. I wish I knew why people sell their prinicples for 30 pieces of silver.

Still Ray Jardine has done a lot to promote the Ultra Light weight approach so although he may have lost the plot we need to acknowledge that contribution.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE