Rawanda VSO kit advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rowen

Jul 8, 2004
Derbyshire
A good friend is off to Rawanda for two years to help improve teaching methords with the VSO. He leaves a week on the 6th of Sept. Anyone got any advice on what he needs to take?
All he knows about his accommodation is that there will be running water:confused:

What I've got together so far is -

Karrimor Panther e65 rucksack
British army poncho (for the rainy seasons)
Gortex trousers
Stainless crusader mug with bottle
EKA Nordic W11 knife (he asked me for one and its pretty bomb proof)

DC3 sharpener
Firesteel
Harmonica (he cant take his guitar)

He's pretty skint at the moment, when he's sold his car he should just about pay off his credit card debt!

Advice please, no cammo and obvious army gear though.

Thanks in advance, Russ

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Anyone got any advice on what he needs to take?

Karrimor Panther e65 rucksack - Choose a smaller rucksack, 50L maximum, you need something that can comfortably sit on your knees on a bus or in a passenger seat. Don't get something with lots of pockets, a single large compartment and lid pocket is all you need.

British army poncho - Choose a lighter, cheaper and smaller poncho.

Gortex trousers - Just wear shorts and (locally bought) sandals. :)
Stainless crusader mug with bottle - Save your money, reuse a couple of 0.5L coke bottles instead, replace when needed. Buy a metal mug locally.

EKA Nordic W11 knife - Replace with a swiss army knife.

DC3 sharpener - Sure, why not. :)

Firesteel - Replace with locally bought matches or cigarette lighters.

Also

Take several boxes of pencils and good pencil sharpeners (the little metal ones with spare blades are best.
Take a whole bunch of postcards from his home town, folks are curious about where you are from, what things are like there. Folks in Africa would often comment on how fat Scottish sheep looked. :)

Have a think about...

Malaria meds?
Water purification?

Don't worry about clothes and things, just buy stuff there.

Take a decent notebook, write a diary/journal, take some pics.

:)

Last edited:

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
Many, many moons ago when I applied for VSO they supplied a kit list for the country in question, I would assume they still do so. Have people who have been before to the area put their experiences up on the internet?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Sanbender's advice above is about as good as it gets for going to an African country - do as much as you (he) can locally and bring stuff for the kids.................atb mac

rowen

Jul 8, 2004
Derbyshire
Cheers for the replies guys. The list was all stuff I had laying around so he wouldnt have to spend anything, the water purification kit he has bought already and his mother is a nurse so a first aid kit is sorted.
I think my vision of where he is going is way out after your replies!

So what would you not be without over there maybe a better way of putting it, I would like to try to get him a few things to go away with.

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
A magazine subscription, maybe you will have to forward it to him, he will feel quite isolated after a few weeks even if he is accustomed to travelling.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Try and sort him with some good music/ebooks, that sort of stuff for his downtime, depending on his tech..................a good solar charger is a great thing if he does use tech stuff, hence batteries...........
Decent toothpaste is something I've missed in Africa......................But go local asap is the way to make the most of your time in a new environment, IMHO,.................atb mac

JC1984

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2012
Craster, Northumberland
Erm....Mosquito net! Get down to Boots ASAP, and not just to keep the mosquitoes out, keep everything else out as well and it will ensure a solid night's sleep.

Definitely take as many pencils/paper/pens as you can - My girlfriend's sister has built a school in Zimbabwe and they are really short of the basics. If a child doesn't have a pencil, they won't walk the miles which they have to, to get to school.

Ha - I always pack Immodium too! Hope he enjoys!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...So what would you not be without over there..."

A sense of humor and a relaxed disposition. :)

Macaroon's suggestion about toothpaste is bang on, take a few tubes or if you want something that will last and packs small, look for some tooth powder recipes.

Also...

A good, leakproof and unbreakable soap dish.

A shemagh, well maybe not a shemagh as he might get some funny looks from the authorities in some places, but a big scarf, a really big scarf or 'hostel sheet'. Something he can lie on in grotty motels, wrap around his neck on chilly mornings, use as a towel, a shopping bag, impromptu bathrobe for the walk to shared washing facilities, a shelter from the sun etc. Never leave home without one.

:)

Last edited:
Take as many bags of cheap plastic toys (army men, cars, etc) as he can, the local kids go mad over them.

I would be inclined to leave the army men out, it is often advised not to give young children war related toys in countries that have been stricken with turmoil past or present.
I know the shoebox appeal does not allow it.
Crafty and educational things would be better.
My Ma was involved with the US Peace Corps for over 20 yrs and saw the results, she was on the medical side.
Other than that
Mosquito repellant
A multi tool, for sure
Immodium
A stock of Mars bars.
Oh and have a good thorough dental check and have any work done before you go.
IMPORTANT READ HERE.
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/rwanda

Last edited:

Catfish1972

Feb 11, 2013
London
I'd buy most things out there, but I would bring several pairs of Rohan bags (my preferred trekking/teaching trousers!) and a spare pair of sandals. Anything else you need you can buy in Kigali or wherever.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I would nip to the nearest car boot sale and fill a bag full of small toys and art supplies. What you can get for pennies at these are really hard to find in those parts of the world. A world band radio and solar powered battery charger would be handy too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE