Raven Feathers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

James Watson

Tenderfoot
Jul 30, 2004
Salisbury
www.nativeawareness.co.uk
Hi All.

I was wondering if anyone had any raven feathers to trade? Im wanting to send my freind in the USA some to fletch an arrow.
I've got some scraps of brain tan buckskin and deer rawhide to trade.

Thanks for your help in advance.

James :)

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
When do you need one?

My brother can shoot one for you for a small fee. Just asked him, he requires 150 NOK (except postage) for all the wing and tail feathers of a bird if he shoots one. Nothing is certain in the hunting business you know.

James Watson

Tenderfoot
Jul 30, 2004
Salisbury
torjusg said:
When do you need one?

My brother can shoot one for you for a small fee. Just asked him, he requires 150 NOK (except postage) for all the wing and tail feathers of a bird if he shoots one. Nothing is certain in the hunting business you know.

Thanks torjusg.
But i would prefure not to have a raven killed for the feathers. My freind would proberbly consider the arrow to have bad mojo. Not good whilst on a hunt. :)
Road kill or collecting a few stray feathers would be great.

Whats hunting like in your country? Is bow hunting permited?

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
James Watson said:
Thanks torjusg.
But i would prefure not to have a raven killed for the feathers. My freind would proberbly consider the arrow to have bad mojo. Not good whilst on a hunt. :)
Road kill or collecting a few stray feathers would be great.

Whats hunting like in your country? Is bow hunting permited?

Bow hunting is not permitted unfortunately. Hunting is quite cheap for residents and for landowners mostly free. Many species are underhunted, such as ravens.

Why would that be bad mojo? Isn't he supposed to kill with his arrows? The Natives surely used the feathers of the birds they killed. :confused:

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
James Watson said:
Hi All.

I was wondering if anyone had any raven feathers to trade? Im wanting to send my freind in the USA some to fletch an arrow.
I've got some scraps of brain tan buckskin and deer rawhide to trade.

Thanks for your help in advance.

I know that this is going to be a daft question before I even ask it. However, here goes. Why does it have to be Raven feathers and not any other member of the crow family? Is it a mystical property? I could understand that as Ravens fascinate me. Is it the Raven feathers have other properties that other crows don't have? I'd love to know. :confused:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Id imagine they would be bigger, for a start.

And why worry about the bird getting killed? I doubt the indians or vikings would care.

(as an aside, did you know there is nearly a ten year waiting list for eagle feathers from Bristol zoo?...I think most natives would have found a subsitute by then.)

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
I have and still do use crow and magpie feathers as arrow fletching, might not be as pretty as goose or other birds but they work. As for shooting a bird? I don’t think so , not just for its feathers ok if the feathers were a by product but not just for the feathers!
Chris

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
chrisanson said:
I have and still do use crow and magpie feathers as arrow fletching, might not be as pretty as goose or other birds but they work. As for shooting a bird? I don’t think so , not just for its feathers ok if the feathers were a by product but not just for the feathers!
Chris

But when there are too many ravens, wouldn't even that make it ok?

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
Sorry my friend, I think I did not make my self very clear!!
What I meant to say was it would be ok if the birds were being “culled” or if maybe shot as a pest on a farm for example. This would then make the feathers a by product. While I do not like to kill anything for not reason I do understand and indeed shoot vermin myself. Very sorry m8 I re-read my last post and it did not say what I maws thinking.
Chris

James Watson

Tenderfoot
Jul 30, 2004
Salisbury
fred gordon said:
I know that this is going to be a daft question before I even ask it. However, here goes. Why does it have to be Raven feathers and not any other member of the crow family? Is it a mystical property? I could understand that as Ravens fascinate me. Is it the Raven feathers have other properties that other crows don't have? I'd love to know. :confused:

Well, my freind visited me over the summer and told me about when he visited ireland about 6 years ago. He saw in a museum an arrow that was recreated from the remains found in an excavation. They think the fletchings were raven, the shaft hazel and the head flint. He thought it would be neet to re create it.
He made me a beutifull osage bow, so the only way i could think of repaying him was to collect the materials.

James Watson

Tenderfoot
Jul 30, 2004
Salisbury
James Watson said:
Well, my freind visited me over the summer and told me about when he visited ireland about 6 years ago. He saw in a museum an arrow that was recreated from the remains found in an excavation. They think the fletchings were raven, the shaft hazel and the head flint. He thought it would be neet to re create it.
He made me a beutifull osage bow, so the only way i could think of repaying him was to collect the materials.

I think I haven't got the story right. Cant imagine the remains surviving unless found in a bog. :confused: but you get the idea :)

James Watson

Tenderfoot
Jul 30, 2004
Salisbury
chrisanson said:
Sorry my friend, I think I did not make my self very clear!!
What I meant to say was it would be ok if the birds were being “culled” or if maybe shot as a pest on a farm for example. This would then make the feathers a by product. While I do not like to kill anything for not reason I do understand and indeed shoot vermin myself. Very sorry m8 I re-read my last post and it did not say what I maws thinking.
Chris

I agree :)

James Watson

Tenderfoot
Jul 30, 2004
Salisbury
torjusg said:
Bow hunting is not permitted unfortunately. Hunting is quite cheap for residents and for landowners mostly free. Many species are underhunted, such as ravens.

Why would that be bad mojo? Isn't he supposed to kill with his arrows? The Natives surely used the feathers of the birds they killed. :confused:

Hi torjusg.

I think my freind would use the feathers if he ate the raven. I know he fletches with wild turkey etc.

James Watson

Tenderfoot
Jul 30, 2004
Salisbury
fred gordon said:

Hey fred.

I know ravens are seen as mesangers in European mythology. :)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Id be inclined to use the feathers of a big bird, a goose or swan maybe

I think most natives used them too.

Raven feathers would be a little small, (however some arrows were small and lightweight)

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Tengu said:
Id be inclined to use the feathers of a big bird, a goose or swan maybe

I think most natives used them too.

Raven feathers would be a little small, (however some arrows were small and lightweight)

Raven feathers are big, more than big enough for sturdy fletchings on whatever arrows you would want.

The problem with ravens is that they are hard to catch.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Thanks folks. I think I get the picture. Just lloked up the Raven in a book I forgot I had. It's called British Birds, their Folklore, Names & Literature, by Francesca Greenoak. Says pretty much what you have all been saying. Sounds like a very interesting bird, the Raven. Sometimes they fly over my house and I see them quite often on the wilder parts of the west coast of Scotland. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE