ratchet straps

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
anyone ever tried those ratchet straps, the type used for securing trailer loads etc, for hanging a hammock. I'v seen them cheap in our local Wilko's, I would think they would be strong enough ?, but would they stretch ? any comments :confused:

EdS

I've used the buckle type rather than proper ratchet straps a few times no problem. I tend to have them in the car for the canoe or surfboards so they are alway to hand. The advantage of the thread through buckle type is - it is alot harder to overtighten and they are easier to undo when wet and tight.

these sort:
http://www.roofbox.co.uk/genaccess.html

Wrap the strap around the tree 2 or 3 times and then buckle/ ratchet tight (but so it damages the tree). To tie in the hammock use an overhand loop in the strap but then put a loop of the strap (a bit between knot and tree) through this loop and clip in, rather than directly into the knoted loop. Just makes it easier to undo.

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
sorry should have explained better, I would only be using the actual strap, without the ratchet device, looks a lot cheaper than buying climbing tape, but wasn't sure if i would still be in the hammock at the end of the night :D

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
Aragorn said:
anyone ever tried those ratchet straps, the type used for securing trailer loads etc, for hanging a hammock. I'v seen them cheap in our local Wilko's, I would think they would be strong enough ?, but would they stretch ? any comments :confused:

I think you'll have trouble breaking them. I have 4 of the thread through bucke types holding a bag press together. I pump it up to 100psi along a 6ft length 4" wide. I'm not sure what strain is on them but they 'sing' when you tap them. The buckles lock and need a tap with a wooden drift and mallet to undo them.

Mine were from Wilckos too. The black ones about 1" across, although they have wider ones I think.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I often use non-rachet type canoe tie down straps - Pod hammocks come with them as standard - and they are great with no stretch. Cheapo straps may slip or stretch a little. Why tension? If you are using a trad as oposed to a diag hammock tension is the only thing that stops you bending like a banana!
John

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
They do stretch a little, but you can ratchet them up and take any slack out a lot easier than dynamic rope. I have used the thin red cheap ones with no real problems. I take a turn around the tree then double back to the ratchet, which is left close to the tree, then take up the slack by winding it up.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Travis perkins is a good place to get straps, they do loads of different lengths... Mainly used for roof racks etc, but work great for hammocks.....
They dont stretch either...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE