Raspberry Pi Enthusiasts?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cipherdias

Settler
Jan 1, 2014
Wales
Bit off topic but with the nights drawing in and the weather being typically Welsh I tend to spend a lot more time indoors than out!

Does anyone do much with Raspberry Pi mini computers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fenix

Forager
Jul 8, 2008
Kent
I use them for certain tasks that do not require the full power of a PC. 1 is providing data to one of the aircraft tracking websites (360radar), its been running for a couple of years, sits there with a radio receiver usb stick plugged in intercepting aircraft transponders. Another has an upgraded digital analogue converter attached and plays high bitrate music from my server or spotify through my hifi system. I was looking at building a server based around one but picked up a HP microserver cheap and have used that.

cipherdias

Settler
Jan 1, 2014
Wales
I use them for certain tasks that do not require the full power of a PC. 1 is providing data to one of the aircraft tracking websites (360radar), its been running for a couple of years, sits there with a radio receiver usb stick plugged in intercepting aircraft transponders. Another has an upgraded digital analogue converter attached and plays high bitrate music from my server or spotify through my hifi system. I was looking at building a server based around one but picked up a HP microserver cheap and have used that.

I provide ADS-B aircraft data to a couple of different websites also :). One of my other Pi’s runs MotionEye and has 4 raspberry Pi Zeros attached to it via WiFi and a camera in each for a home cctv system. Pi 3 is running PiHole, Pi 4 is running Pi NOAA to pull down weather sat imagery and Pi5 just arrived this morning and I’m not sure what I will Sue it for :)

Reactions: SaraR

soa_uk

Forager
Jul 12, 2005
Highlands
I have 5 in use.

One is a pihole ad-blocker; it also runs as my independent DNS server, so any requests for websites are managed and resolved inside my own network.

One is Logitech Media Server, streaming downloaded music across our network to a variety of players (including a Pi Zero)

2 are video/media players running OSMC which can handle almost any sort of media file stored on the network (I also have a couple of NAS on the network.)

Being a deeply sad Muppet, I have 5 Alexa Echo devices around the place, and probably 30 or so voice controlled lights (and a kettle :) )

Last time I checked I ran about 55 devices on our network. Naturally, I automatically run security scams over the network too.

Being a retired IT guy contributes a bit to it.
Much less bushcraft stuff since I bought a motorhome and got a hernia and kidney disease :-(

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

Reactions: dwardo

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
It’s a bit like most hobbies, starts out cheap but gets more and more expensive cause you want more stuff

I disappeared down that rabbit hole with Arduino for a while. At that time the RPi and Arduino were very different beasts but I see Rpi has diversified into microcontroller territory and Arduino headed into SoC territory.

cipherdias

Settler
Jan 1, 2014
Wales
I disappeared down that rabbit hole with Arduino for a while. At that time the RPi and Arduino were very different beasts but I see Rpi has diversified into microcontroller territory and Arduino headed into SoC territory.

Yes they have certainly gone different ways.

Must admit I do enjoy tinkering with a Pi particularly now the nights are drawing in.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I've moved on from Arduino to ESP32 - they're faster, cheaper and have built in WiFi and Bluetooth. I did have 3 RaspberryPi but am now down to one, which runs my gate access control system - that's been a major drain of my time, rewriting my hacky code into more easily maintainable code (Python). Taught myself a lot but still some way to go. At least now it's working effectively and logging properly.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
been using a pi as NAS plugging in 4tb usb hdd, works nicely using a android TV box and vlc to playback

loads of arduino, made a morse emergency device that you can type in more on an android phone and it would send it using usb relay and a bright flashing light

been spending last month making tracked droid with arm, lasers flashlights and IR camera, even has a tail that waggles

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
been using a pi as NAS plugging in 4tb usb hdd, works nicely using a android TV box and vlc to playback

loads of arduino, made a morse emergency device that you can type in more on an android phone and it would send it using usb relay and a bright flashing light

been spending last month making tracked droid with arm, lasers flashlights and IR camera, even has a tail that waggles

Just to cover that off so I understand

You type the Morse into your phone it relays it to what exactly?

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
either using an android arduino serial terminal app, or 1sheeld
sends serial data to arduino

then it converts the string
and triggers a relay to open and close a usb cable conencted to powerbank
to turn on and off a small torch I have that just plugs in to the extension cable

the arduino relay is basically spliced in to the extension cable as a switch.

a bit like these

i also have modes for doing straight SOS, strobe and blinkies

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE