Raspberry Gin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Had some fantastic raspberry gin at the moot. Just wondering what quantities were used (is it the same as blackberry whiskey?), and how long it was 'soaked' for.

Cheers,

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Biddlesby said:
Had some fantastic raspberry gin at the moot. Just wondering what quantities were used (is it the same as blackberry whiskey?), and how long it was 'soaked' for.

Cheers,
The making of raspberry gin is pretty much like making sloe gin. Equal amounts of fruit and sugar (adjust to taste) 1lt of gin. (you can add almonds to the mixif you like)
Mix all together in a bottle big enough (I make mine in a dark green plastic 2lt bottle)
Shake everyday for a week and every other day for a fortnight after that.
Then shake once a week for three months. The shaking is to make sure that all the sugar is dissolved and the berries break up enough to impart their flavour.
After the first three months has passed, either decant into suitable bottles and leave for a further three months or leave to settle untouched for three months then decant. (With the raspberries don’t throw them away as they can be added to ice cream) you can drink the gin there and then, or leave it to mature for another three to six months.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
That would be mine then ! :D
The recipe came from Farmers Weekly magazine made by my good lady wife.!

Bottle of gin 75cl
1.5 tbl spoons of white sugar
About 1lb of fruit

Put the sugar in a jar
Pour gin in
Add fruit untill the gin is to the top of the jar

As tadpole says shake reguarly to start with. The one you tasted last weekend was stewing for a year - the longer you leave it the better it gets !
the problem is leaving it ;) the gin should be the same colour as the fruit.

We use a Kilner jar. Something with a wide neck is best because the fruit swells in the alcohol and it can be difficult to get it out !
You can use all sorts of fruit - bullace, cherries, strawberries and raspberries were mentioned in the FW recipe. Slice the cherries and strawberries if you use those.

Hope that helps.

mark

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
There is also a similar thing in Germany I believe - rumtop. It's an earthenwear container (about 1 pint) that you put fruit into and a bit of sugar, then top up with Rum. The idea is you put a layer of whatever fruit is in season into the pot every month from June / July until winter, then at chrismas you drink the flavored rum + eat the fruit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE