Rasp knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

KieranW

May 30, 2018
Leicester
Hi folks, I'm pretty new to knifemaking but I thought I'd share a few pics of some bushcraft (and kitchen) style knives I've made from old farrier's rasps. They are mostly made from recycled materials, e.g. pins and tubes from old printer parts, liners from old office files etc. The scales are bog oak. I dont have proper knifemaking kit so it's all done with the tools I have and heat treated in the back garden.

Sieddy

Nov 12, 2016
Oxford uk
They'll get the job done! Awesome recycled work!
Do you just guesstimate the temperature for annealing/quenching?

KieranW

May 30, 2018
Leicester
They'll get the job done! Awesome recycled work!
Do you just guesstimate the temperature for annealing/quenching?
Cheers! I anneal them in an old bbq, then use the same method but with an air pump to get them heated to non magnetic, then quench in vegetable oil. If a file doesnt mark them then they are tempered in the oven until straw coloured. If not then I have to re-quench them. All good fun :)

Reactions: Sieddy

Sieddy

Nov 12, 2016
Oxford uk
Cheers! I anneal them in an old bbq, then use the same method but with an air pump to get them heated to non magnetic, then quench in vegetable oil. If a file doesnt mark them then they are tempered in the oven until straw coloured. If not then I have to re-quench them. All good fun :)
It Does sound great fun!
I really want to have a go- but circumstances don't permit currently! Cheers!

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
goodjob for new to knife making you're doing a brill job, they look great. Are they for you to use? Be nice to see some pics of them action...

KieranW

May 30, 2018
Leicester
goodjob for new to knife making you're doing a brill job, they look great. Are they for you to use? Be nice to see some pics of them action...
Thanks! I have sold most and given others away - the one with the paracord wrap still needs a sheath but I'd like to do some testing with it. Might be good for some lockdown garden bushcraft videos :)

KieranW

May 30, 2018
Leicester
I need to make some sheaths but don't have access to any materials due to the current situation. Does anyone have any suggestions? :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE