Rapid brew set up for jump kit.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stephendedwards

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2006
Wales
having been ripped off today for a cup of black tea at some services I have decided to invest in what the LRDG called a jump kit. Something compact to boil up anywhere - specificially in a urban environment. Thinking jet boil at the moment, any users out there?

Stephen

a12jpm

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 15, 2008
Perthshire
I run up and down the country installing furniture and learned the only way to get a decent brew was diy. So my wee set up that goes everywhere with me is;
Crusader mug with nato bottle inside
MSR pocket rocket with coleman 100 gas.

Whole lot sits in my glove box with a handful of uht milks "acquired" from McDonalds and my favourite Nambarie tea bags. Mmmmm lovely.

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
stephenedwards

I have not used a jet boil but I do have a "Primus ETA", Its a two man pot so may not be entirely what you are looking for regarding "compactness". What I can say though is that the system is incredibly quick- by the time you have got the coffee and sugar and milk into the cup, the water is boiling away merrily.

If it is out in a "one man version", I think you would be hard pushed to better, what seems to me, an innovative combination of flame and pot technology.

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
I've got a JetBoil. I think it's great for boiling water. Tea, soup, boil in the bag meal. Really frugal on gas. Everything packs into the pot, incl gas. Piezo already attached. Littel cup attached on bottom, with room for tea bag, or coffee sachet.
In some ways it's better than a flask because you can choose what drink to have on the fly, and tea is a bit naff from a flask, IMHO. Boil in the bag is good too because the pot is quite tall, so you can roll up the meal and stuff it inside. The pot has a neoprene cosy which means you don't lose much heat out of the sides. They are a bit pricey, but for convenience I think they can't be beat.

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
why dont you make one of those hobo stoves that are all the rage?

then you can seek out lay-bys with pines growing overhead, maybe string your hammock tween roadsigns whilst you wait for it to boil

:naughty:

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Just a brief word of warning for all those carrying stoves in their work vans!
i got severly reprimanded at my last job for carrying a small gas stove in the work van for brew ups and tins of spag bol for lunch. All insurance is rendered invalid if there are non-registered combustable materials in a commercial vehicle (this includes gas canisters and petrol/parrafin fuel containers). In the event of an accident and unregistered containers are found...you know the rest!
Sorry if this sounds like another bit of scare mongering, but i had no idea that things were so strict. Not something that is widely advertised.
Private vehicles are ok, as long as they're not registered on the business.

Cheers
Baggins

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Self employed carpenter here so I use my van to eat my bait* in.

I can't stand tea out of a flask cos it tastes manky so I have teabags, powdered milk (anyone ever spilt a carton of milk in a car? Ugh its smells if its not washed off straight after) and a flask ful of hot water, the water can be used for a brew or for noodles and as the rest of the stuff are kept dry they keep for ages.

Theres usually a stove in the van but that wastes a few minutes of my bait time so I prefer the hot water in the flask.

*Bait is like sandwiches for Cumbrians;)

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
Morning Steve,

Are you after a bushcrafty solution, a bike solution, or a car based one ?

Bushcrafty - Volcano/Storm - can you wait for your birthday for the Thermette - which is probably a bit big for this. A few service stations might get snotty at seeing Crocodile Dundee lighting up a fire in the car park to cook his grub. They apparently got rather excited when the local schoolkids were setting off fireworks recently on the M4.

Bike - do they all have power points ? Alternatively now they all run on unleaded howzabout the Coleman ? Not the 2T obviously. Would make it taste smokey, maybe Earl Grey like. Strictly you should only make tea on the Enfield, that combination of English and Indian would be perfect for Tiffin.

Of coure being inside for the cafe is one of the pleasures on the bike, warming up, washing hands under the warm tap on frozen hands, using the bog etc......

Car - instant kettle or even more simply the plug in water heater from car accessories shops. Would do a Crusader mug nicely - your cup of choice.

Avoid the Thermos. Makes foul tea and the water is too cold to make a fresh cup properly.

Getting esoteric could we not lash up something to heat water on the bike engine/s ? Remember the MZ club trying to cook a chicken foil wrapped behind the cylinder block - not wholly succesful.

Off to the races. Where the Trangia will do the tea making honours.

Richard

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Bike - do they all have power points ? Alternatively now they all run on unleaded howzabout the Coleman ? Not the 2T obviously. Would make it taste smokey, maybe Earl Grey like. Strictly you should only make tea on the Enfield, that combination of English and Indian would be perfect for Tiffin.

Svea 123 R stove runs fine on two stroke petroil mixed at 32:1 with Silkolene Comp 2:)

Mebbe a good idea to keep the pan covered cos of the Benzine in the unleaded but it kept us cooking during the couple of days when Carlisle was cut off during the floods and all I had for fuel was some premix from my 500 two stroke crosser.

We ran out of meths pretty quickly and had to use what we had, that was 32:1 premix.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE