Ransoms Capers - Surely Not?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

y0dsa

Forager
Jan 17, 2008
The Danelaw
Someone on Radio 4 was talking about capers made from ransoms, and I thought to myself, surely not? Googling didn't produce anything, but if anyone's going to know, they'd be here. So, any thoughts?

Cheers,
Dom

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I wouldn't exactly call them capers...but if you take the little flower buds and pickle them in something not overpoweringly strong (they kind of go to mush if you do) they do pickle nicely :D
I used a sweet rice wine vinegar last time. The buds and the vinegar were really nice on salad. I did some in oil too, but HWMBLT reckons that's a classic, "This is how to make botulism", type thing :rolleyes:....so if you open a jar and it smells like stuff you don't want to hit the fan, throw it away.

cheers,
Toddy

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Several recopies come up if you google, some use flower buds and some green seed pods. I prefer pickling the young seed pods of nasturtiums myself, easy and caperish.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
It was on The Food Program, which is repeated tomorrow afternoon if you've time to listen; the guy who was into the pickling and doing all sorts of stuff with salad leaves seemed quite knowlegable and interesting, and they usually put comprehensive info up on their website until at least the next broadcast.

Who would have guessed that salad leaves are a £600 million trade annually?

y0dsa

Forager
Jan 17, 2008
The Danelaw
Ok, thanks all. Looks like pickled flower buds is the way to go, although the fresh flowers taste rather good.

Cheers,
Dom

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
You can also pickle "ash keys" and they're pretty caper-ish, though like capers they're an acquired taste.

2 cups of Ash Keys without stalks
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground cinnamon
4 bay leaves
8 peppercorns
1 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp brown sugar
2 cups cider vinegar
water

1. Wash your Ash Keys, then place in a pan covered with cold water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 5 minutes.
  2. Strain off the water and return to the pan with some fresh water, then bring back to boil and simmer a further 5 minutes.
  3. Drain off the water again, allow to ‘dry’ slightly and then pack into warm dry jars, but allow an inch of space from the top of the jar.
  4. Put the spices, salt and sugar into a bowl and add the vinegar.
  5. Put the bowl into a saucepan (cover it), add some water (not to the bowl but just into the pan) and bring slowly to the boil. Allow to gently boil for about 5 minutes, then remove the bowl and let it sit for about 4 hours or until it is cold.
  6. Strain the liquid through a muslin or sieve into a jug and pour over the Ash Keys filling the jars right to the brim.
  7. Screw on the tops.
  8. Store for 3 months and let the pickle ‘mature’.

y0dsa

Forager
Jan 17, 2008
The Danelaw
Pickled beetroot and pickled walnuts have been a personal favourite for a while. Clearly there's more pickleables than I throught!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
On another thread Santaman2000 mentions pickled watermelon rinds :dunno: I like baby marrows and cauliflower :) and sweet pickled beetroot.

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE