Ranger Belts

leon-1

Up until November I was blissfully unaware what a ranger belt was and then someone asked me if I would make one for them. Not being into telling people porkies I informed the person that I had no idea what a ranger belt was, they then informed me where I could get some ideas. In the end that person got their belt for Christmas, but it left me thinking are they any good.

This meant that I had to have a go at making one for me to use, I finished it the other day, the next time I do one I'll write a tutorial as they are quite a pleasant belt in use and they look quite good. Here's how mine turned out.

ranger2eu2.jpg

It took a good few hours and the whole thing was hand stitched, but in the end I think it was worth the time and effort.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Very nicely made, Leon. I have one I made myself some while back, I didn't know what they were called, just turned out that way because I only had a 1" buckle but wanted a wider belt :rolleyes: It is indeed very comfortable to wear.

leon-1

Very nicely made, Leon. I have one I made myself some while back, I didn't know what they were called, just turned out that way because I only had a 1" buckle but wanted a wider belt :rolleyes: It is indeed very comfortable to wear.

Thanks jojo, In my case the customer wanted a specific type of buckle and it just wasn't worth importing one so I bought a few, having the bits there was a bit too much of a temptation, so it had to be done:eek:.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Looks very nice indeed :D
Just out of curiosity, what makes it more comfortable? Just the fact that the belt doesn't dig in, or because you can put pouches and the like on the outer strap so that the straps/clips aren't directly against you?

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
A quick google says that ranger belts were originally developed in the 'wild west' for those folk wearing guns/tools on their belts - the wider part would also be a thicker leather, whose stiffness would mean the belt wouldn't twist or move under the weight of the tools. The narrower thinner part for the buckle meant you could use standard parts which were available, or recycle parts from other belts if needed.

Looking at it now of course, I can see lots of bushcraft potential - a very nice design indeed!

leon-1

To be honest mate I don't know, it just is. The leather that I used for this belt is very pliable, it is also quite thin. So where in places it is a triple thickness it makes life easier getting it through the belt loops.

Looks very nice indeed :D
Just out of curiosity, what makes it more comfortable? Just the fact that the belt doesn't dig in, or because you can put pouches and the like on the outer strap so that the straps/clips aren't directly against you?

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Nice one leon 1.
Back in the good old bad old days i have made 11/2" ranger belts reinforced with spring steel in the lining to take the weight of hand gun holster etc.
Cheers topknot.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE