Ramsons!

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
They do seem to be early this year in fact we've had some out since before Christmas! The flowers are out but as yet there is little smell, which is a shame.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It is very early huh? These are my own cultivated ones so its nice to see them - but I hope they don't get killed off!

That said I have three cornered leeks that have been growing all winter and seem fine

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Ours are wild (livid at the recent weather to be honest) and seem to have survived the recent snow with no problems.

btw swmbo wants to know why you had such a poor leek harvest and what have they been cornered by, a rotten cabbage perhaps.....? :rolleyes:

leon-1

Hi mate your not the only one, my local woodland has a load of ramsons coming through at the moment. The tri corner leek here's gone mental, loads of it and fully in flower. Also got the first of the new growth of nettles coming through.

Although highly toxic the young cuckoo pint are up with a vengeance.

Strangely I noticed a load of King Alfred's cakes in the woods as well, it's unusual as it's the first batch of them I have found in these woods in 6 years and they're looking like they'll be big.

The River Lemon is high as well as it runs through the woods, in areas it has breached the banks and the little path that runs alongside the river is / has come close to being underwater by the looks of it.

It's a lovely wood with a number of different types of tree (Beech, Sessile Oak, Ash, Hazel, Sycamore and Alder amongst others). I could have sworn there were a few that looked like they might be coming into leaf. One of the Oak still hasn't dropped all of its leaves from last year.

Things are a little screwed up Red.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hi mate your not the only one, my local woodland has a load of ramsons coming through at the moment. The tri corner leek here's gone mental, loads of it and fully in flower. Also got the first of the new growth of nettles coming through.

Although highly toxic the young cuckoo pint are up with a vengeance.

Strangely I noticed a load of King Alfred's cakes in the woods as well, it's unusual as it's the first batch of them I have found in these woods in 6 years and they're looking like they'll be big.

The River Lemon is high as well as it runs through the woods, in areas it has breached the banks and the little path that runs alongside the river is / has come close to being underwater by the looks of it.

It's a lovely wood with a number of different types of tree (Beech, Sessile Oak, Ash, Hazel, Sycamore and Alder amongst others). I could have sworn there were a few that looked like they might be coming into leaf. One of the Oak still hasn't dropped all of its leaves from last year.

Things are a little screwed up Red.

Stuffs definitely odd this year - I have dog roses that I suspect the leaf buds are going to pop shortly. I'm pleased to hear the trees are doing well as we planted another big run of native hedging in November and I'd like them to get off to a good start.....mixed a load of carb apple in with blackthorn and guelder rose for an edible hedge :). Must take a mosey down and see how its doing!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
According to Milius so does the Guelder Rose (make infusions). Its a new one on me, but I cam across a reference to the being used as a cranberry substitute in non acid ground (Mountain Cranberry) so I thought I would give twenty or so a go, a few may find there way into some vodka too :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Very little showing here yet :sigh:

BR, I like Gueldar Rose, but it's another one like Elders.....every tree or bush is different. Some just aren't fit to eat, while others are beautifully sweet, and it's another one that somefolks just cannot tolerate well.
Usually cooking makes them palatable for most folks, but maybe be a wee bit wary of who you give it to as a liqueur ?

How about a ransoms recipe thread ? stuff suitable for campfire cooking ? :) Not overly complex just really tasty with a brilliant aroma :D

That said, the little flower heads pickle well if you catch them before they open, and later on the little bulbils are a crunchy munch of a flavour burst in stir fry if you put them in at the very last moment :)

cheers,
M

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
That said, the little flower heads pickle well if you catch them before they open, and later on the little bulbils are a crunchy munch of a flavour burst in stir fry if you put them in at the very last moment :)

cheers,
M

on a slightly related note - have you ever tried eating chive flower buds? ... Peppery!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
They call them 'bear onions' around these parts, none showing yet though, a cheese and ramson sandwich sounds like a good idea when they do. :)

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
We have a large patch or Ransoms by the stream at the bottom of the garden, I've not checked them this year yet, so a trip down tomorrow and I'll let you know, I love the young shoots on cheese on toast.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE