Raising wildlife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
Anyone else done it? Last year was quiet with just a woodpigeon and a robin too look after but the year before I ended up with eight birds and a hedgehog.

My first was a newly hatched woodpigeon that literally landed at my feet, someone then gave me a finch and then the vets started handing things over.

If you ever get the chance it's a very rewarding thing to do as long as you don't mind having a bag around your neck most of the day full of wriggly things that want feeding every half hour - or worse, mammals need feeding through the night...
Realgar

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
raising wildlife is bit of an oxymoron isn't it? :wink:

I've nursed a hedgehog back to health, it was very rewarding and gave me a lot of satisfaction filling it with worms before releasing it back into the wild (back garden).

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
I've raised a few things, the best was a Leopard and then a meerkat awesome i fell in love with the Leopard, I've done the usual pigeons and starlings, blackbirds and a rabbit, you are right its very rewarding i know sometimes we take some of our wildlife to eat but each life is precious and and not to be taken lightly, when sick or injured everything we can do for them is very worth while, people too often walk by injured animals instead of helping them :?: there are plenty of animal rescue centers that will take them if you don't have time..
Picture of cubby with my kids
kidscubby.jpg

just after she went :cry:

1cubby.jpg

(a chain leash is used as she would bite straight through a leather one)

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
A leopard wow! Where'd you find that?

We raised a wonderful girl called Twiggy last year, she was very hard work to begin with, but she was worth it.
twiggy.jpeg

We also raised another girl last year named Lumi.
I incubated the eggs as the mother got off them 3 weeks down the line. Nesting on the open ground, a snowy owls do, it rained really bad one day, and mother hopped off them, having had enough.
3 of the 4 didn't hatch, and I was amazed Lumi did. A massive amount of work. With family, friends and ex-vets helping out. We were told 'a few more hours at most' from almost everyone we sore, and no centres was interested.
She did have problems with both a wing and leg, and never could support herself, although we got specilists in for 2 op's and she was maiking progress. Unfortuneatly a tummy bug got her in the end.
lumi.jpeg

ronsos

Forager
Dec 10, 2004
thought razs wee fawn was lovely-big doe eyes,dainty wee hooves.my heart just melted when i seen the pic-so,how did you cook it and what did you use the pelt for ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE