Rain...

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
18 hours non stop so far. It's making a mockery of the new hose and sprinkler system I've just set up. :(

On the plus side, it's bring up the mushrooms.

Anyone else being deluged today?

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
72 hours of sunshine offset by a cold wind all day today. Result one roof repaired, father happy knees sore, thinking wheres those frigging knee pads.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Same here too so spent the day in the workshop cutting out a big pile of walnut bowl blanks, and some pen blanks from the offcuts :)

Thinking of putting the fire on this evening but still chucking it down and don't want to get wet getting the coal and firewood in :rolleyes:

Cheers, Paul

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Plenty of it here, too; I've got two army smocks and my Bergans Morgedal hanging to dry out along with two pairs of trews. As I write this the sky has just begun to lighten but the meat is roasting and the tray of veg. is waiting to go in, so let's hope it dries a little before dusk :)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Thinking of putting the fire on this evening but still chucking it down and don't want to get wet getting the coal and firewood in :rolleyes:

That's what's putting me off too. I've settled on a fleecy shirt and opened a bottle of red instead. Starting to glow quite nicely inside :)

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Rained solidly here too.
Went to the allotment this morning with the dog and collected a load of runner and French beans, courgettes, apples pears, onions and green tomatoes, then made the first batch of about three litres of chutney. While that was going I made a curry as comfort food for this evening and watched a large flock of goldfinches come and go all day on the feeders in the garden despite the rain and accompanied by greenfinches the odd chaffie and a linnet.
I've just made a gallon of runner bean wine and was going to make some French and runner bean pickle, but one of three Old Speckled Hens has demanded attention and the risk of forgetting the pan on the cooker means the next batch of cooking waits now until tomorrow!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Runner bean wine? Is that normal? I'm not too sure that sounds very tasty.

Nice to know you've got a healthy wild bird population. Lovely to watch them come and go isn't it?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Odd things make nice wine. I'm using JFs stinging nettle recipe and its surprisingly nice :)

I think you're right. My nan used to make pea pod wine, much nicer than the Elderflower stuff. Elderflower smelt fantastic, but puckered the lips a bit :p

Oh, and it's stopped raining at last. I've had a problem with constant rain since pitching up my tent (many years ago now), in a homely looking little dip on a mountain just north of the Welsh town of Pontypridd.

Long story short. 2 blokes, in a two man cheapo, for 3 days, in a dent on a granite mountain that turned into a bathtub. Myself, and Kelly who I was with, claim sole rights to losing our sanity and stripping naked to run about telling the rain gods to bugger off. It just about flipped my lid, we learned to do excellent smoke rings though :D

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Odd things make nice wine. I'm using JFs stinging nettle recipe and its surprisingly nice :)
Nettle wine is very nice. My favourite at the moment is beetroot. Oddly enough the bungalow we are in is smaller than the flat was and so I got rid of a load of demijohns before we moved, so what with the need for more of those and now tools, not to mention the newly acquired leather and canvas fetish, I think it's a bigger shed I need to be thinking about!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think you're right. My nan used to make pea pod wine, much nicer than the Elderflower stuff. Elderflower smelt fantastic, but puckered the lips a bit

I racked off a couple of gallons of raspberry today. That promises to be spectacular :) Only made it once before because it needs a lot of raspberries. I hope its as good as last time.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I racked off a couple of gallons of raspberry today. That promises to be spectacular :) Only made it once before because it needs a lot of raspberries. I hope its as good as last time.

Sounds lovely.

How's that whiskey/raspberry job coming on? That interests me, I thought with the water content of the raspberry it might mould.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE