'Radiation' moving west across Europe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Hungarian and Czech monitoring stations have started to pick up "increased levels" of Iodine-131. Possibly but not definitely related to Fukushima, other countries to the west of Hungary are now begining to detect the increase.

:(

Few pages reporting it, found these from google...

http://www.news24.com/SciTech/News/Radiation-in-Europe-no-risk-20111111

Vienna - The UN atomic agency said on Friday "very low levels" of radioactive iodine-131 had been detected in the air in the Czech Republic and in other countries, but presented no risk to human health.

The Czech nuclear safety office said that the source of the contamination was "most probably" outside the Czech Republic, and that its information suggested the cause was not an accident at an atomic power plant.

The Dreaded Mail....
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-nuclear-agency-mystified-soaring-levels.html

http://news.yahoo.com/nuke-agency-reports-unusual-radiation-europe-134506410.html

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Just been having a look on Google, Iodine-131 has a half-life of 8 days, so it completely disappears within 64 days. Is this stuff still leaking from the Fukushima plant? Or is it there from the original meltdown? How come its only got there now? I mean its 8 months since the plant got hit by the tsunami. Surely it must have been there before? It can't have just drifted over since the initial meltdown as it would have dissipated 6 months ago.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Just been having a look on Google, Iodine-131 has a half-life of 8 days, so it completely disappears within 64 days. Is this stuff still leaking from the Fukushima plant? Or is it there from the original meltdown? How come its only got there now? I mean its 8 months since the plant got hit by the tsunami. Surely it must have been there before? It can't have just drifted over since the initial meltdown as it would have dissipated 6 months ago.

Maybe the Iranians have tested a nuclear device, or it is a plot to convince us that they have? :)

Either way, folks around here will long remember the Chernobyl disaster and the lack of information being supplied at the time.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
We've already had a visit from a massive radio-active air mass from Fukushima, shortly after the catastrophy, which recieved very little attention.......there's no reason why we shouldn't be continously irradiated since Fukushima, continues to leak.

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
On 27 March 2011, the Massachusetts Department of Public Health reported that [SUP]131[/SUP]I was detected in very low concentrations in rainwater from samples collected in Massachusetts, USA, and that this likely originated from the Fukushima power plant.[SUP][12][/SUP] Farmers near the plant dumped raw milk, while testing in the United States found 0.8 pico-curies per liter of iodine-131 in a milk sample, but the radiation levels were 5,000 times lower than the FDA's "defined intervention level." The levels were expected to drop relatively quickly [SUP][13]

cut from wiki with my bolds[/SUP]

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Such a sceptic sir.:)

Just a bit. :)

It probably is Fukushima fizzling away. I'm not so worried about my health but more for farmers and such who might suddenly be told that they can't move any produce while the government shuffles cash around for a few months before paying compensation (if any).

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Do you have any evidence for those statements?

It seems the people who first reported it disagree with you:

http://www.jpost.com/Headlines/Article.aspx?id=245239

Rather vague & Fukushima wasn't even mentioned...which is suspicious...
Strange, they don't know the origins of this iodine- 131 yet claim to know what it is not .....I don't know the Jerusalem post but the Israeli media is not where I would look for unbiased facts.:)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Do you have any evidence for those statements?

It seems the people who first reported it disagree with you:

None, I'm repeating what I'm reading in the Hungarian press and elsewhere, I think that it is probably coming from Fukushima, but I don't know, but I am the guy being very slightly irradiated so perhaps like you I'm looking forward to an explanation from someone soon. :)

The Jerlusalem Post suggest that the Czechs have been picking up on this increase since late October, that isn't the story we are getting here and the Budapest monitoring stations picked up the increase only yesterday.

Edited to add:

Actually the Poles are saying they were picking up the increase in the last part of October.

Last edited:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Rather vague & Fukushima wasn't even mentioned...which is suspicious...

Come to think of it, they didn't mention Dounreay nor Hinkley Point either, it must be very suspicious. :)

How about this then?

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/11/11/nuclear-iodine-czech-idUKP7E7K901420111111

Strange, they don't know the origins of this iodine- 131 yet claim to know what it is not .....

No, that isn't strange at all. Nuclear power plants produce a range of substances. If there's an accidental release, there's a kind of 'fingerprint' in the products which are released. It's a bit like when an old diesel engine goes past you. As soon as you smell the exhaust you know it isn't a petrol engine. In the case of nuclear reactors, the type of reactor strongly influences the ratio of the various isotopes which are found, so generally you can pin it down to which kind of plant made the release, if not exactly which plant, just from the isotopes that you see. Then of course there aren't all that many of these plants around the world, so it's usually pretty easy after you spot the stuff to look upwind from the discovery and find the culprit.

I don't know the Jerusalem post but the Israeli media is not where I would look for unbiased facts.:)

Nor any media, I suppose, but if you're looking for bias I don't think you have to look much further than this thread...

Anyway, in every kilo of human tissue you get about a hundred radioactive decays per second from natural sources. Unless you're undergoing radiotherapy that's a lot more than you'll get from man-made sources, yet it doesn't seem to concern most people:

http://www.rerowland.com/BodyActivity.htm

Move along please, nothing to see here.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...there's a kind of 'fingerprint' in the products which are released...you can pin it down to which kind of plant made the release..."

I didn't know but did presume that that would be possible. I guess we will just have to wait for someone to provide the answers.

I mentioned earlier folks around here remember well the last time there was an increase in these particles, they were also told to "Move along please, nothing to see here" but of course there was.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Come to think of it, they didn't mention Dounreay nor Hinkley Point either, it must be very suspicious. :)

Since Fukushima contunues to leak it would be normal to include it in a news article as the possible cause.or not of the detected increased radiation

Yep, we are all biased on this forum & some are for nuclear power & others agin.......................

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere

Anyway, in every kilo of human tissue you get about a hundred radioactive decays per second from natural sources. Unless you're undergoing radiotherapy that's a lot more than you'll get from man-made sources, yet it doesn't seem to concern most people:.

Are you including the radio-active food & water we've been consuming since 1986 thanks to the Tchernobyl cloud which polluted a good part of E urope in your assumptions ?

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Since Fukushima contunues to leak it would be normal to include it in a news article as the possible cause.or not of the detected increased radiation

Fossil fuels also contain radioactive materials, mainly uranium and thorium, which are released into the atmosphere. In 2000, about 12,000 tonnes of thorium and 5,000 tonnes of uranium were released worldwide from burning coal.[http://www.ornl.gov/info/ornlreview/rev26-34/text/colmain.html]

Yep, we are all biased on this forum & some are for nuclear power & others agin...

Bias is OK until it gets in the way of rational thought. Burning fossil fuels in conventional power plant releases vastly more radioactive material into the environment than does nuclear power plant.

Instead of having all that uranium and thorium floating round in the environment for me to eat and breathe, I'd much rather have it safely tucked up inside a nuclear reactor.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Burning fossil fuels in conventional power plant releases vastly more radioactive material into the environment than does nuclear power plant.

Until there's an accident or the stored radioactive waste & spent nuclear fuel leak.:eek:

Tell me Mr. Ged.....are you in any way connected to the Nuclear industry ?.............or are you just in favour of nuclear.? :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE